Voliminal: Inside The Nine [DVD] Review

artist: Slipknot date: 04/23/2007 category: compact discs
Slipknot: Voliminal: Inside The Nine [DVD]
Release Date: December 5, 2006
Slipknot takes an unorthodox approach to much of its latest DVD, but it's still a fascinating behind-the-scenes look at the masked band.
 Content: 9.3
 Production Quality: 9.3
 8.8
 9.3
 8.3
Voliminal: Inside The Nine [DVD] Reviewed by: UG Team, on february 05, 2007

Sound: You've got a backstage pass for the Slipknot show, so be prepared for plenty of up-close-and-personal rehearsals, crying fans, and drinking-induced vomit. The latest 2-disc DVD package by Slipknot Voliminal: Inside The Nine is definitely a gift to fans that might be curious as to know what exactly goes on when the masked band isn't taking the stage. The first disc shows all the behind-the-scene action in an unorthodox format, complete with choppy editing and absolutely no specific chronology. While this unique approach might have some a bit antsy, Slipknot fans will likely find it a fascinating peek into the day-to-day antics of the band. If you're looking for a live concert performance shown in full and without any random clips edited in, go directly to disc 2. The first disc is collection of video snippets that includes more than 80 minutes of footage taken by percussionist Shawn "Clown" Crahan. And while it's definitely exploring one side to Slipknot, it only gives partial attention to the music. You're more likely to find one of the road crew chugging a bottle of hard liquor after a bet from the band, then periodically vomiting throughout the rest of the DVD. This is not to say disc 1 doesn't give you moments of live footage here and there. In one scene you see a fantastic practice (unmasked) done in some general rehearsal space. Even though the bandmembers' faces are blurred out to keep the masked show fresh, it's a great peek at the band's performance skills without thousands of screaming fans. Another extremely cool moment comes with a video taken from the audience, showing drummer Joey Jordison and his kit being turned on its side and Jordison playing on unfazed like old school Tommy Lee. While the artistic approach to disc 1 can be appreciated, it's disc 2 that will give viewers a bit more of Slipknot's music. The disc includes concert footage from all over the world, featuring The Blister Exists, Eyeless, Duality, and Vermillion. The first disc teases you a lot by showing you tiny segments of Vermillion being practiced at rehearsal and then played briefly onstage, so it's great to finally see it done in full. // 8

Overall Impression: It's hard to get a full read on Voliminal when you first pop in disc 1, which is all over the place at times. There are quite a few mini-stories that you'll see maybe 5 seconds of on the DVD, and you kind of wish you knew just a bit more about each scene. Fans will definitely be satisfied with the variety of footage that is used in the first disc, however, and it's the kind of DVD that you'll be able to discover new things with each viewing. The highlights come in the interviews, where you're able to see the real people behind the masks. As behind-the-scenes as the first disc may seem to be, it's the interviews that take place in the bandmates' real-life settings that give you the best insight into the emotions that drive Slipknot's music. // 8

Voliminal: Inside The Nine [DVD] Reviewed by: SlipKnots Fan, on march 17, 2007

Sound: The sound of this DVD is amazimgly different from any other. It can go from one scene where they are in studio with high quality sound, to a scene when they are playing live and you can't make out anything that's going on. Much of the sound on this DVD is really what is going on. When they play live, it is amazing how one scene can be complete insanity without making out a sound, to another where it sounds perfect. // 9

Overall Impression: The most impresive thing about the DVD is the variety of different shots from in studio, live and on the tour buss. The DVD menus are amzing to. If I lost or stole this, I would without a doubt buy this DVD again. This DVD is amazing and is a must have for any SlipKnot fan. // 10

Voliminal: Inside The Nine [DVD] Reviewed by: Shabalaba, on april 23, 2007

Sound: I bought this album expecting a lot from what I had heard of this DVD and also with Slipknot being an ace band I thought it would be good. And it delivered it was ace from the quite frankly strange 1st disc to the videos and interviews of the 2nd disc. Slipknot is a metal/heavy metal band, but you probably knew that if you like Slipknot. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a really good DVD, a must for all Slipknot fans. Even if you didn't like disc 1 you would keep it for disc 2, that's my favourite disc, I just love the interviews, it helps you to get inside their head. I think it definitely is at the top of band DVDs. I've already said what I love about it the only bad thing is on disc one is can be slightly boring at times, what I mean by that is it films the crew too much, even though they are a main part of the bands live shows n stuff I would have liked to see more of the band. If it were lost or stolen I would buy it again defiantly. // 10

Comments