Fush Yu Mang review by Smash Mouth

• Released: Jul 8, 1997
Smash Mouth: Fush Yu Mang

There's a good balance of ska upstroke beats and hard rock, and they seem to find a good balance between humor and anger- and both, in some tracks. The bassist is incredibly fast, and so is the guitarist - almost punk-y.

The lyrics are pretty immature, but sometimes just hilarious - ("You used to call me shnookums and sh** like that, now you're after me with a baseball bat"). There's actually some brief reflection about life, but it's overshadowed by the ridiculous lyrics. The singer has a great gravelly voice, and if you forget he ever sang All Star, you can actually like him.

Needless to say, this albums beats the everliving crap out of Astro Lounge. This is a great punk/ska/alternative CD, while Astro Lounge and all the synthetic pop that followed was corporate crap. My favorite tracks are Beer Goggles, Let's Rock, Why Can't We Be Friends, and Pet Names. There are a few annoying, bubblegum pop tracks (Disconnect the Dots). If it was stolen or lost... well I borrowed this CD from my friend and ripped all the tracks, so I'd just borrow it again. But if I couldn't, I would buy it again. If you hate what Smash Mouth has turned into or are just looking for a good CD, I could easily reccomend this.

JHC_DOH
    Almost punk-y? Compare this album to Bostones, Rancid, Offspring, Vandals, The Queers. Walking on the Sun and Why Can't We Be Freinds were the worst tracks on it. This is also nowhere near being a metal CD. It's too bad these guys are retards now.