Fush Yu Mang Review

artist: Smash Mouth date: 05/11/2004 category: compact discs
Smash Mouth: Fush Yu Mang
Released: Jul 8, 1997
Genre: Rock
Tones: Carefree, Fun, Humorous, Rollicking, Party/Celebratory, Amiable/Good-Natured
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Post-Grunge, Third Wave Ska Revival, Ska-Punk
 7.8
 6.7
 8.8
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Fush Yu Mang Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 24, 2004

Sound: Sort of artificial. It seems like they can't decide whether they want to be pop or metal. Not too many good songs, though Walkin' on the Sun is excellent. // 6

Lyrics: Other than a few moments of clarity the lyrics were the immature ramblings of someone who think's he's saying something important. Smash mouth definitally shows potential in this CD, it's too bad they don't achieve it in Astrolounge. // 4

Overall Impression: I'm not sure what their influences were, and I'm not sure if I want to know. They seem to be willing to do whatever it takes to get famous, but not care about their music itself. I saw Walking on the Sun, an anti-consumerism song, used in a car commercial. Nothing more need to be said. // 4

Fush Yu Mang Reviewed by: LedZeppelin, on may 11, 2004

Sound: There's a good balance of ska upstroke beats and hard rock, and they seem to find a good balance between humor and anger- and both, in some tracks. The bassist is incredibly fast, and so is the guitarist - almost punk-y. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty immature, but sometimes just hilarious - ("You used to call me shnookums and sh** like that, now you're after me with a baseball bat"). There's actually some brief reflection about life, but it's overshadowed by the ridiculous lyrics. The singer has a great gravelly voice, and if you forget he ever sang All Star, you can actually like him. // 10

Overall Impression: Needless to say, this albums beats the everliving crap out of Astro Lounge. This is a great punk/ska/alternative CD, while Astro Lounge and all the synthetic pop that followed was corporate crap. My favorite tracks are Beer Goggles, Let's Rock, Why Can't We Be Friends, and Pet Names. There are a few annoying, bubblegum pop tracks (Disconnect the Dots). If it was stolen or lost... well I borrowed this CD from my friend and ripped all the tracks, so I'd just borrow it again. But if I couldn't, I would buy it again. If you hate what Smash Mouth has turned into or are just looking for a good CD, I could easily reccomend this. // 8

Comments