Smile Empty Soul Review

Smile Empty Soul: Smile Empty Soul
Released: May 27, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge
Smile Empty Soul's debut release is a screeching, brooding affair that smiles little and swears a lot.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.2
 9.6
 8.8
Smile Empty Soul Reviewed by: twstdprcptn, on october 06, 2003

Sound: Smile Empty Souls self-titled debut album has tracks on both ends of the musical spectrum. Starting off with their popular single "Bottom Of A Bottle" which is hard and fast paced, and then by track four ("This Is War") they have slowed down to an almost acoustic track. There is one completely acoustic track, #13, "I Want My Life" which opens with a disgustingly happy guitar rift, but then fades down to a more mellow and depressing guitar and lyrics, though the overall tone and message of the song is a happy one. The album has such a variety of music styles and tones that i could go on about it for hours. It does have its low points though (in my personal opinion at least) but thats just in my mind. The one thing that i dislike about this album specifically is the recording quality. It's not as good as it could be. And it plays in a way that when the music gets harder, and should get louder, it doesnt. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of track 2 ("Silhouettes") are what made me fan of Smile Empty Soul. "I dont want to live like my mother, i dont want to let fear rule my life. I dont want to live like my father, i dont want to give up before i die." The other lyrics are incredible as well, my favorites being,"Silhouettes", "The Other Side", "With This Knife", and "I Want My Life", and Sean Danielson is just the voice to express them. // 10

Overall Impression: Smile Empty Soul did a great job with this album, and has made an impression on many record labels, and fans with their debut album. Deep, powerful lyrics, combined with BOTH hard and mellow music, on the same album. I dont know of any other bands that pull it off as well as Smile Empty Soul has. Go buy this album. It's WELL worth your 15$. // 10

Smile Empty Soul Reviewed by: L0N3R468, on november 25, 2003

Sound: Smile Empty Soul have created an all around great CD. Every song is awesome. I can't stop listening to the CD. Every track whether it be a slow song or a heavy song, is awesome. Bottom of a Bottle: This song might get old to some people but still a great song! Sillouettes: I love this song! It has all the components to be a hit. Nowhere Kids: A perfect choice for their second video! This is War: This is one of my favorite acoustic songs. Therapy: I love the guitar in this song. For you: The greatest heart break song ever! Your Way: This song is all about doing things your own way and its my second favorite on the entire CD. Other Side: This used to be my favorite, but it is in the top 5. Every Sunday: I like this song even if it is against the Catholic Church. Who isn't these days. With this knife: Another great heart break song. Radio in a hole: MY FAVORITE F****** SONG! All my Problems: This is a great song about independence. I want my life: I don't listen to this song as much as the first 12. Eraser: Again I don't listen to this songs as much as the first 12. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are all against child beating and are all for doing things the way you want to do them and I am all for that. These guys are some of the greatest song writers. If I could write at least one song like them I would be happy. Their style of writing reminds me of Heavy Metal songs. All about broken families. // 10

Overall Impression: This New Grunge band, is one of my favorites. I get a Nirvana feel when I listen to them. Smile Empty Sould will go down in the record books for being the greatest band of all time if not one of the greatest. // 10

Smile Empty Soul Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 09, 2004

Sound: The sound on this record is great. I like the variations of acoustic songs and heavy songs. It has really great and catchy guitar riffs. Sean's voice reminds me of Kurt Cobain. Smile Empty Soul kind of reminds me of Nirvana. I think all of the songs are great and a lot of kids can identify with them. I think the whole band has serious skills. // 10

Lyrics: My impression of their lyrics is that they actually mean something. They're smooth and not too corny like those of other bands. // 10

Overall Impression: I really like Smile Empty Soul. They are now probably one of my favorite bands. My favorite songs on the album are Your Way, Nowhere Kids, and Every Sunday. This CD is definitely worth buying if you like rock or just like one of their singles. If some crazy ba$tard stole this CD from me, I would definitely buy it again. Smile Empty Soul would be great to listen to in a car (if only I had a car...). // 10

Smile Empty Soul Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 20, 2004

Sound: The Sound on this album is fucking great. You can tell that these boys really are in it for the music and not the money. Smile Mepty soul put a lot of time in to this album and it shows every song is perfect. Love the whole album. // 10

Lyrics: Oh My god. The lyrics are what really made the album for me. The music was good and all but the lyrics are like wow. I can really relate to every word that is sung. I love seans voice also. It is kinda a scream that makes you feel his pain. It reminds me alot of Kurt Cobains scream. Though it is completely original at the same time. Totally amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: If I had to compare this with any other albums I would go with Badmotorfinger by soundgarden Nevermind by Nirvana and Ten by pearl Jam. I hate to compare things to those albums because in my opinion they are by far the best albums ever. But this album does rank right up there with them. I woudl gladly pay 25 dollars for this cd to support this band. they are by far the best band alive right now. My favorite song on the cd is Siluettes. It gives so much and you can litterly feel the pain from the song. For you is also FREAKIN amazing. What am I saying everysong is awesome. Since My copy recently got stolen I have been tring to find a place where I can buy it. Every place around here is sold out of it. I hope this band can keep it up they are fucking amazing. // 10

Smile Empty Soul Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 10, 2004

Sound: The way I look at it is that they are a type ofmusic widely know, but they take above and beyond. In a way they make it their own sound. The vocals are one of a kind and very impressive. I would recommend this to any teenager or young adult that has a respect for a good, quality sounding rock album. // 8

Lyrics: I found the lyrics rather creative and very easy to connect to. They speak the mind the average modern adolescent and tell what they are thinking. It's like magic when the lyrics lend with the music as well as they do. The skills ofthe vocals are definently present throughout the entire album. I wouldn't mind singing like that. // 8

Overall Impression: This is an album I will keep and always listn to. Even more important this is a band to follow as they climb to the top of the alternative rock kingdom. One of my favorites of the album is "Silhouettes". It not only speaks my mind but reveals the pain and goals in life for young adults. "Nowere Kids" is another song representing the alent and creativeness behind this band. "This Is War" and "Every Sunday" really shoe the potential of Smile Empty Soul taking off. Overall, this album represents the beggining of something big and one of a kind. // 8

Smile Empty Soul Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 29, 2004

Sound: This CD is amazing. The band sounds like a more complex, and less gritty version of Nirvana, or Bush. I love every song on here: 01. Bottom Of The Bottle: I love this song, when I first bought the Cd, this song kept me listening. 02. Sillouettes: I really like this song too, very deep. 03. Nowhere Kids: I love the intro to this song, and the blend of teh bass and guitar are excellent in the chorus. 04. This Is War: the first time I heard this song, I really felt it (except im not American), and everything works in it, even the unexcepted profanity. 05. Therapy: me and the guys really liked this song, the gritty vocals sound awesome, and I really like the verse riff. 06. For You: my favourite song, mainly because the lyrics connect greatly to my life. 07. Your Way: great song, I love the screaming at the end of the chorus. 08. Other Side: I love the bridge on this song. 09. Every Sunday: although the anti-religious thing is a bit much, another great song, with a lot of meaning. 10. With This Knife: what a great Song, one of me and my best friend's favourite. 11. Radio In A Hole: best song musically on the album, I love the fucking intro. 12. All My Problems: amazing message in this song, I love it! 13. I Want My Life: I really like this song, great slow song. 14. Eraser: a very good selection to end the album, lyrics are very good, good melody. // 10

Lyrics: Amazing lyrics! A lot of the lyrics really fit into my life right now, it like every thought in my head, is being played by a song. Very angry, and fits with the music. Sean is an amazing singer. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album. It was worth buying, and id do it again. I can't wait for the next one. The most impressive songs were - For you, Your Way, Bottom Of A Bottle, With This Knife, and Radio In A Hole. These guys are the best un-heard band , and one of the best in the world. Everyone should heard them, and I will make it my mission for myself to get anyone I can inot them. // 10

Smile Empty Soul Reviewed by: Guitarplaya27, on november 23, 2006

Sound: Wow, I first heard this band in 2004, and said I had to get the album, so I did. 01. Bottom Of A Bottle - this song is a very good way to start an album; it has a nice clean riff, and great distortion with the perfect bass to fit in. 02. Silhouettes - this has the best acoustic part I have heard from an alternative rock/post-grunge band. Very nice deep singing and nice transition to distortion with a heavy bass to keep all together. The Singing sounds like Kurt Cobains style in the end. 03. Nowhere Kids - what can I say, my favorite song off the album and the one that got me into this band. Me personally this is the sing with the best riff on the album with a great chorus and bridge. Beautiful. Singing is great. 04. This Is War - when I heard this song I almost died. Very Beautiful and sounds a lot like Nirvanas Something in the way (with Smile Empty Souls mix). You can really feel what Sean Danielsen put into this song. 05. Therapy - great riff to start, but this isn't my favorite song, sounds a tad bit like switchfoot, except way too dark. Once again Sean uses Kurt Cobain Style singing. 06. For You - great acoustic intro. The singing and sound Sean put into this song gives you a sad/mad feeling at the same time. The distorted part was ok at the end but wasn't needed at all. But great song. 07. Your Way - love this song a lot, the heavy distorted parts are great with Seams fast singing style. The chorus is the best part for me. 08. The Other Side - what to say, really hits you, the nice soft chords with Seams Soft singing style is the best way to have a song compromised. He has a beautiful voice and shows it off in this song. Beautiful needed distorted parts which bring this song into a greater song. Nice little acoustic solo. 09. Every Sunday - really an ok song. 10. With This Knife - sounds like a love song but almost the opposite. Love the acoustic parts in this song. Really eerie/sad riffs and chords in here to give you a feel. 11. Radio In A Hole - great transitions of distorted riffs and soft chords. With singing to perfect this song. Another beautiful part that sounds like Kurt Cobain style. 12. All My Problems - not my favorite. 13. I Want My Life - sounds like a depressing start at the beginning, and sit is, with a sad but beautiful acoustic riff with great chords. Love this song as well. 14. Eraser - beautiful chord transitions with great singing. Nice little solo too. Overall Sean picks up his guitar puts on the flanger, and plays hard. // 9

Lyrics: Sean Danielsen is like Kurt Cobain in many ways. Kurt used to write songs that used to touch you and you can connect to. Sean does almost the exact same thing. Sean has some beautiful lyrics and his voice shows that he can sing very well. He has that raspy voice that Kurt Cobain showed in his song "You know Your Right". Sean likes this style and shows it a lot in his singing. Sean is a great modern day singer but underrated. // 10

Overall Impression: I have nothing else to say except that CD is a great self-titled debut to start a band off. I love Seans Singing and Guitar playing. Haven't seen anything like this style since Kurt Cobain. I would have to buy this album again if I lost it or it was stolen. There is too many songs that I can connect to and love that I can't let this album go. Overall one of the best CDs I own. Great CD. // 10

Comments