Final Straw review by Snow Patrol

• Released: Feb 2, 2004
Snow Patrol: Final Straw

Snow Patrol's sound is also described by the band's name. It sounds "snowy". Faint, distorted, weak and enjoyable. Whenever I say 'weak', that isn't bad at all. I really like their sound. It's unique. Snow Patrol's music doesn't fit into any real categories. They don't have any solos or catchy riffs. Their music is very easy to play, most of the songs have the same format with similar power chords flooded with effects and sound effects. The music doesn't expand too far. Snow Patrol reaches acoustics in a few songs, but they don't seem to experiment with much else.

The lyrics are great. Whenever I look at this CD, the lyrics are the heart of it. The singer has a great voice. It seems kind of nervous, but steady. Gary Lightbody uses his voice as an instrument. Their first single, "Spitting Games" for example, the heart of that song is the vocals. All of Snow Patrol's music revolves around Lightbody. He also has an amazing songwriting skill. He goes into so much detail, that it forces you to almost feel what he went through or is feeling. I would definitely consider Lightbody the best songwriter of this year. Lightbody also has so much melody in his songs that it's extremely easy to get any one of his songs stuck in your head. He also makes sure you get your time's worth by stuffing so much lyrical content into the CD. There isn't a song where you would want Lightbody to keep going, because he makes every song complete by not leaving anything out.

You can get Snow Patrol if you take Coldplay, take away their ritalin, add guitar effects, and give the singer a life's worth of education in songwriting. I'm supposed to tell you which songs are the best of the album, but it's hard whenever they are all so great. The album plays like a greatist hits CD, you can't skip over any track. I bought this CD for 10 bucks at Sam Goody's. I'm not exactly sure why this band hasn't been played to death by now, because they are extremely catchy. I'm not sure if Snow Patrol can live up to a live show due to all of their guitar effects, echos, playback and other random noise that has been stuffed into the Final Straw. I have been getting everyone I can to listen to this CD. I want everyone else to hear it and see how lyrics should be instead of today's senseless four-line verses. If anyone gets a chance, you should definitely check out "Spitting Games" or the CD Final Straw. It is really worth your time and money.