Hard Times And Nursery Rhymes review by Social Distortion

• Released: Jan 18, 2011
Social Distortion: Hard Times And Nursery Rhymes

Social Distortion has been evolving since day one, each album getting further away from their punk rock roots and moving more and more into rockabilly territory. There isn't much punk sound to be found on this album (if any). Instead there is quite a bit of a country and blues that they channel into their songs. The way way I would describe this album is incredibly roots-y. It may not be the Social D my dad grew up with, but it's a natural progression in the direction they've been going, and I personally really like it. The opening song, "Road Zombie" is very appropriately titled. It feels like I should be listening to it while driving down a long desert road for mile after mile.

The lyrics deal with loneliness, lost love, 1930's gangsters, how the band is still alive and kicking and how much the city of Bakersfield sucks (for those of you who haven't been there, the answer is a lot). The song "Can't Take It With You" is kind of existential in that it covers the topic of how money and hard work doesn't matter, cause when you're dead you're just dead: 'All your money, your hard earned pay/It don't mean shit, babe at the end of the day.' Overall, the lyrics are basically the standard fare you'd expect from Social Distortion, which I wouldn't say is a bad thing.

This album is without a doubt not their most powerful. It doesn't get in your face like Mommy's Little Monster, or get the blood pumping quite like White Light, White Heat, White Trash, but it should definitely not be missed. I would say the best three songs on this album are the instrumental ("Road Zombie"), "Still Alive," and "Can't Take It With You" simply because they've got the most energy. This album really put me in a good mood. Whether it's because Social D finally put out some new material or because it's really good (which I think it is), I don't know. My only complaint is the pace of about half the songs. They're a little slow, and that's something I'd have differently. I'd definitely buy the album again if I lost it and hadn't saved it to the computer. And you should buy it too, it's more than worth the ten bucks.

Grawgos
    Caboose911
    Incredible album here! I knew Social Distortion would deliver honestly this is one of the best semi "Come-Back" records I have ever heard
    Xomar
    What I've heard so far sounds great! I definitely understand the complaint about the album being a little slow but I think it's still a great album.
    wfbrady09
    RiffYourFaceOff wrote: I forgot this was coming out. Very excited to hear this after seeing these reviews.
    +1 definitely
    SoLgEr
    i agree, the extended version is very good, i cant stop listening to this album. IMO this is the best new album that i've bought in a while
    elcapitan1800
    Grawgos
    boomtank
    Grawgos wrote: elcapitan1800 wrote: Grawgos wrote: I really didn't think they pull off an album that could match Sex,Love,Rock and Roll, but they did. This album is incredible. I picked up the extended version and I am glad I did because Take Care of Yourself and I Won't Run No More are two of my favorite songs. This album rocks. Maybe I havent listened through it enough times, but I just dont see how this is better than Sex, Love and Rock n Roll. Dont get me wrong, its a solid album, but SLaRnR is one of my all time favorites I thought the same exact thing. I think Sex, love is one of the best albums released by any artist and should have won album of the year when it was released. It is a classic and I still listen to it all the time. The more I listen to Hard Times, the better I think it is. I don't think it surpasses Sex, love, but I think it's just as good.
    I really thought sex, lova and rocknroll was too short! Great album though, highway 101 omfpr0nzorz
    swk138
    hank williams sr. wrote alone and forsaken, not ness. do ur research bro
    swk138
    listen to it on vinyl if u havent yet, makes it even more amazing