Sex, Love And Rock 'n' Roll review by Social Distortion

• Released: Sep 28, 2004
Social Distortion: Sex, Love And Rock 'n' Roll

I'd never heard Social D until I heard "Reach For The Sky" on the radio. I thought it was a good song and I wanted the album, which wasn't out yet. I kind of forgot about it but then I heard their second single "Don't Take Me For Granted" and I made myself go out and buy it. This album is packed with emotion as the band mourns the loss of their guitarist which is evident on the best tracks. The thing I love about this album is the classic raw garage band feel Social D has to their sound it's simple yet refined to perfection.

The lyrics on this album have a lot to do with life, love, and death, and they pair nicely with the raw Social D sound. Mike Ness did a great job on songs like "Reach For The Sky" and "Angel's Wings," although I'm still unsure on what "Footprints On My Ceiling" is about. The standout in the lyrics department is definitely "Don't Take Me For Granted" from the first lines "I'm your worn in leather jacket, I'm the volume in your f--ked up teenage band" to "I'm the dreams you had walking down the railroad tracks, you and me" this song is rock and roll personified. Singer wise Mike Ness Is not a great singer, but he is a great rocker his gravelly voice is a perfect match for social D's sound. My only complaint is sometimes it seems like his voice is drowned out on a few songs but nothing major.

01. Reach For The Sky - is a classic live life to it's fullest song with a good riff. 4/5. 02. Highway 101 - has has a great sing along chorus. 3/5. 03. Don't Take Me For Granted - is, like I said the reason I bought this album, and it's amazing the screechy guitar slide gives me chills, I love this song. 5/5. 04. Footprints On My Ceiling - Nice steady song with a steady roll to the rhythm. 3/5. 05. Nickels And Dimes - this song fits Mike Ness perfectly. 3/5. 06. I Wasn't Born To Follow - an anthem to individuality. 3/5. 07. Winners And Losers - a good one about life in general. 4/5. 08. Faithless - probably my least favorite song on the album, a good song, but it just doesn't stand out like the others. 3/5. 09. Live Before You Die - I this one alot again just doesn't stand out. 10. Angel's Wings - probably my second favorite song on the album, a much slowed down change of pace with a great chorus. It's a ballad but it's not sappy at all, a great endnote. 5/5. All in all this is a great album that has made a Social D fan out of me, I can't wait to check out their other stuff to see if it's as good, the only downside to this album is it's short only at just under forty minutes. I pray for the soul of the poor sap that steals this album from me, they would get some angel wings of their own.