White Light, White Heat, White Trash review by Social Distortion

• Released: Jan 1, 1996
Social Distortion: White Light, White Heat, White Trash

My aunt got me into this band saying that I wanted to hear what punk rock sounded like and this band was what started me. It makes you want to hear more of them. There is distortion in every song on this album, but the music is usually softer than what you'd think. A couple of the songs start with the drums tapping the top hat and then bringing in the guitars and bass. They use mostly power chords which can get kind of annoying, but they usually use different progressions in each of their songs. One downfall, is that they sometimes use the same chord progression throughout the whole song.

Mike Ness is comes up with some of the best lyrics I've ever heard in this album. In all of these songs, there is a different subject or topic. They match with the music and fit perfectly with the style.

"White Light, White Heat, White Trash" is the kind of album that starts out a little boring, but once you start listening to the lyrics and learning the song for yourself, it really grows on you and becomes one of your favorites. One of my favorite songs is "Don't Drag Me Down" because its lyrics are outstanding and the chord progression and rythm changes showing you they have switched from the verse to the chorus.