Agent Orange review by Sodom

• Released: Jun 1, 1989
Sodom: Agent Orange

In 1989 German thrash masters, Sodom released their breakthrough album Agent Orange. featuring what some call their best line-up, Tom Angelripper (bass and vocals), Frank Blackfire (guitar), and Chris Witchhunter (drums), the album has become the highest selling German Thrash album of all time. The nine songs display a variety of sounds including the slower paced Remember the Fallen to Ausgebombt which is reminiscent of Motorhead. The guitars on this album are heavy, fast and loud, and the solos are even faster. The bass isn't too spectacular but with Tom also handling vocal duties this is quite understandable. Chris's drumming is top-notch as usual and he is able to match Blackfire and Angelripper in speed.

Abandoning their earlier lyrical themes of Satanism and gore, in this album Tom Angelripper found his lyrical niche, the Vietnam War. Rather than glorifying war the lyrics show the grim reality of the war. The songs cover different aspects of this, to name a few examples, loss of life (Remember the Fallen), the troop transports (Magic Dragon), and herbicides (Agent Orange. The lyrics fit in perfectly with the mood of the music and makes the whole thing a darker and heavier experience. When it comes to Tom's vocals, you either love them or hate them. His snarl is a mix between early thrash yelling and death grunting. He is able to clearly scream his lyrics in a way that you can understand what he is saying (or at least I can).

Overall this album is really strong. The standout tracks are, Agent Orange, Ausgebombt, and Remember the Fallen. There really are no bad songs here but some songs like Exhibition Bout and Incest are just average. This album belongs in the collection of any metalhead especially anyone who is into thrash. I would castrate any one who stole this from me.

Lloyd2
    Incest is one of my favourites on this album oO But you're right it's a really good album
    wideheim
    Great album! But i think incest is more than average, it is the best track on the album. But we all have different opinions.
    thewho65
    xhandgunxheart wrote: Way to name their album after a great punk band.
    I'm not sure if they were aware of the band Agent Orange. Agent Orange itself was some kind of chemical used to clear out the jungles of Vietnam that left devastating effects (disfigurement, deformities, etc.) on the locals if I am correct.
    Sodom91
    named after a punk band.... *laughs* I hoped the cover gave a hint to the clueless, I WAS WRONG! Agent Orange, is a chemical compound that was used in the Vietnam War. It was used because of its effects on oncogenes (cancer genes/cells) and cell structure. It was like radiation dust, once it was on you, you had major troubles down the road. Agent Orange was widely spread throughout southern Vietnam, not just on the Viet Cong, on the VILLAGERS. Along with it's sister aggressor, NAPALM (yea Sodom even has a song about that too on the Vietnam Concept album - m16.)How the heck do I know all this, I'm Canadian....better get back to hockey
    cochi4
    I also think that Exhibition Bout and Incest ain't so good, but still descent.... but this album totally kicks ass
    Boone666
    I liked Persecution Mania more than Agent Orange. But it's still a great CD none the less.
    Blas3
    This is an awesome album, and the review stands true for it.