In War And Pieces review by Sodom

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Nov 22, 2010
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 7
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 7.7 Good
  • Users' score: 8.5 (11 votes)
Sodom: In War And Pieces
2

Sound — 8
Thrash revival gives us another more than solid album, on In War And Pieces Sodom takes an approach fairly similar to Kreator's on Hordes of Chaos -fast and heavy thrash metal but at times very melodic. Don't be deceived by that word "melodic" because Sodom still do a lot of blasting in the 200+ bpm range and all of this is presented to you in a clean and crispy production(something for which Sodom are not best known).The album has been made even more fresh by the light use of the oriental scale, however it's not all good news I'm afraid. For some reason Sodom have given several songs that are actually good ballad-like intros and structures, the intro of "God Bless You" is perfect example of how not to use clean guitars in thrash and the first 40 seconds of "Through Toxic Veins" is like something off the Black Album, the song does eventually start to sound like Sodom so I wouldn't say that it's that bad. Another songs worth mentioning is "Nothing Counts More Than Blood" which opens with an epic, to say the least, riff. For those who prefer the old Sodom style there are "Hellfire" and "Knarrenheinz" which sound more like the late 80s. In War And Pieces is a mix of different styles so it's for the better part not tiring as the previous album was.

Lyrics — 7
Sodom's lyrics mostly revolve around violence, war, blasphemy and human disintegration and this album is little different. With that said one can definitely see a trend in the lyrics over the years, lately the lyrics have an almost philosophical tendency which is very different from the early bloodthirsty style.Again Tom "Angelripper" shouts his way through the album but this time his vocals are not as massive as they once were. Angelripper's near guttural vocals are now much more tamed and cleaner but this ads more to the overall freshness of the album so it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Overall Impression — 8
Well after "The Final Sign Of Evil" any improvement would be welcomed but In War And Pieces is more than a simple oil change, it's almost an complete rework at some points. It doesn't go to far where you couldn't say that it's really Sodom but it goes far enough to show that there still a strong impulse in the band. If you are not a fan of the few ballad minutes don't worry because Sodom still do what they do best: thrashing violently.

18 comments sorted by best / new / date

    henkka_potku
    Revival? Sodom aren't here to REVIVE thrash, Sodom has been alive and kicking since thrash was born! Also gotta check out this album.
    iommi600
    in my opinion this is the best 2010 album. Sodom never disappoints. and looks like they are already writing a new album... let's just wait, another thrash masterpiece is on the way.
    {Dude,itsabass}
    as far as i can tell from seeing slayer and megadeth live in seattle, thrash is NOT dead. with the new albums like world painted blood i think its safe to say that thrash has made a comeback, and it will continue to grow stronger. lets just hope megadeth's new album will feed the fire that is THRASH!
    Thrash.aholic
    krvolok wrote: henkka_potku wrote: That which is not dead can not be revived. Simple enough? Thrash was dead in the late 90s because there were no band playing thrash.Sodom did a couple of Crossover albums.Megadeth and Metallica were doing rock,Slayer did nu,Kreator goth and industrial,Destruction and Sepultura were doing slowed down groove metal. Then in the new millennium they started to go back to the old sound.Violent Revolution 2001,Code Red and M16 99 and 2001 respectively,God Hates Us All 2001,The World Needs a Hero 2001,The Antichrist 2001.Then came the new bands so from the late 90s were there was little or for that matter no brain activity to 2000 when thrash rolled away the rock and exited the tomb leaving only the shrouds to testify of the resurrection.
    second...
    postmortem2006 wrote: Keep the whole 'revival' rubbish to yourself but this is a class record
    Revival is something for the thrash fan to praise not ignore.
    henkka_potku
    krvolok wrote: henkka_potku wrote: That which is not dead can not be revived. Simple enough? Thrash was dead in the late 90s because there were no band playing thrash.Sodom did a couple of Crossover albums.Megadeth and Metallica were doing rock,Slayer did nu,Kreator goth and industrial,Destruction and Sepultura were doing slowed down groove metal. Then in the new millennium they started to go back to the old sound.Violent Revolution 2001,Code Red and M16 99 and 2001 respectively,God Hates Us All 2001,The World Needs a Hero 2001,The Antichrist 2001.Then came the new bands so from the late 90s were there was little or for that matter no brain activity to 2000 when thrash rolled away the rock and exited the tomb leaving only the shrouds to testify of the resurrection.
    Sodom did not die. End of discussion.
    jorge-fg
    Skuzzmo wrote: krvolok wrote: But thrash as a genre was more or less dead during the mid to late 90s. Was it? Must have missed that... lol
    Yes it was, many thrash bands were separated in the 90s
    krvolok
    henkka_potku wrote: That which is not dead can not be revived. Simple enough?
    Thrash was dead in the late 90s because there were no band playing thrash.Sodom did a couple of Crossover albums.Megadeth and Metallica were doing rock,Slayer did nu,Kreator goth and industrial,Destruction and Sepultura were doing slowed down groove metal. Then in the new millennium they started to go back to the old sound.Violent Revolution 2001,Code Red and M16 99 and 2001 respectively,God Hates Us All 2001,The World Needs a Hero 2001,The Antichrist 2001.Then came the new bands so from the late 90s were there was little or for that matter no brain activity to 2000 when thrash rolled away the rock and exited the tomb leaving only the shrouds to testify of the resurrection.
    henkka_potku
    krvolok wrote: henkka_potku wrote: krvolok wrote: henkka_potku wrote: Revival? Sodom aren't here to REVIVE thrash, Sodom has been alive and kicking since thrash was born! Also gotta check out this album. But thrash as a genre was more or less dead during the mid to late 90s.So now in the 2000s thrash is/has recovering/recovered hence "thrash revival" which includes new and old bands. Those bands which did not die are NOT a part of thrash REVIVAL. Of course the scene is much more active than in the 90's, but only new bands are part of the "revival". Thrash did not die. It slumbered. Semantics...
    That which is not dead can not be revived. Simple enough?
    Skuzzmo
    krvolok, don't answer that...i'm being a twat and winding you up.... sorry... I hang my head in shame.
    Skuzzmo
    krvolok wrote: Skuzzmo wrote: krvolok wrote: But thrash as a genre was more or less dead during the mid to late 90s. Was it? Yes it was.
    Not from where I was sat...
    krvolok
    henkka_potku wrote: krvolok wrote: henkka_potku wrote: Revival? Sodom aren't here to REVIVE thrash, Sodom has been alive and kicking since thrash was born! Also gotta check out this album. But thrash as a genre was more or less dead during the mid to late 90s.So now in the 2000s thrash is/has recovering/recovered hence "thrash revival" which includes new and old bands. Those bands which did not die are NOT a part of thrash REVIVAL. Of course the scene is much more active than in the 90's, but only new bands are part of the "revival". Thrash did not die. It slumbered.
    Semantics...
    henkka_potku
    krvolok wrote: henkka_potku wrote: Revival? Sodom aren't here to REVIVE thrash, Sodom has been alive and kicking since thrash was born! Also gotta check out this album. But thrash as a genre was more or less dead during the mid to late 90s.So now in the 2000s thrash is/has recovering/recovered hence "thrash revival" which includes new and old bands.
    Those bands which did not die are NOT a part of thrash REVIVAL. Of course the scene is much more active than in the 90's, but only new bands are part of the "revival". Thrash did not die. It slumbered.
    krvolok
    Skuzzmo wrote: krvolok wrote: But thrash as a genre was more or less dead during the mid to late 90s. Was it?
    Yes it was.
    krvolok
    henkka_potku wrote: Revival? Sodom aren't here to REVIVE thrash, Sodom has been alive and kicking since thrash was born! Also gotta check out this album.
    But thrash as a genre was more or less dead during the mid to late 90s.So now in the 2000s thrash is/has recovering/recovered hence "thrash revival" which includes new and old bands.
    EpiExplorer
    Epic epic thrash. I like these guys cuz they were always the more listenable version of Slayer. Actual song structure and tuneful melodies.
    Skuzzmo
    krvolok wrote: But thrash as a genre was more or less dead during the mid to late 90s.
    Was it? Must have missed that... lol