M-16 review by Sodom

• Released: Oct 22, 2001
Sodom: M-16

Sodoms 2001 album M-16 is a concept album based on the experiences of people involved in the Vietnam War and is a return to form after a string of disappointing albums. This is an aggressive Thrash assault but compared to the other Teutonic bands its production is somewhat lacking. The drums can sound messy and the guitar tone can be a bit thin at times but the pure strength of the songs here more than make up for any issues that the production raise. The riffs here are infectious are the vocal performance is awesome layered on top of some of the best chorus patterns I've heard in Thrash. The flaws here are outweighed completely by the strengths but even still a little more volume wouldn't have gone amiss.

The lyrics here are quite colourful as it's a concept album the aim is to paint a clear picture to keep the story moving. Some great chorus's here too. The vocal performance itself is fierce! It's clear and yet still has grit to it. Very satisfying to listen to! While Tom is not a classically trained singer he makes due with what he has(not saying he's lacking) and he shines on this album.

This a really fantastic album and I've been listening to it for a long time and I'm not bored of it yet! I don't think I'll even tire of this one. I recommend it completely and the stand out tracks are set staple Napalm In The Morning, M-16 and Lead Injection. It's a must for Metal fans even just for the ludicrous version of Surfin' Bird. Buy it.