Obsessed By Cruelty review by Sodom

• Released: May 19, 1986
Sodom: Obsessed By Cruelty

This is the first full-length record released by Sodom in 1986. First of all, I advice you: if you haven't listened to this album yet and you're wanting to do it, search for the European version of the album. The band recorded this album twice, and the version released in the USA has a terrible recording quality. I mean, you can expect that from most of the thrash/black/death records of the 80's, but in this version the drum is just too loud and you can barely hear the guitar. The re-recorded version released in Europe by Steamhammer sounds a billion times better (and also have a bonus track called "After The Deluge", not included in the USA version). Now speaking about the album, this is one amazing record. Like their previous album, the EP "In The Sign Of Evil", this is regarded as an early black metal record, but sure thing this is thrash-oriented as well. It goes to insanely fast songs like "Deathlike Silence" and "Witchhammer" to slower ones like "Proselytism Real". Riffs are intense and solos are chaotic, provided by guitarist Michael Wulf. Chris Witchhunter is just a beast on the drums, and Tom Angelripper's bass lines are not really outstanding, but really solid and aggressive, just like the whole album. In this album, you can still hear clearly the band's lack of technical skills, compared to later releases like "Agent Orange", but that does not really compromise the album at all. It's still a masterpiece.

Lyrics on this album contains a kinda interesting side with "tales", citing things that are present on the christianity story many times, like the deluge and Sodom and Gomorrah. But they're not really focused on it, as there's other songs that talks about evil and violence, like "Witchhammer" and "Deathlike Silence". They're not really impressive and well written as the lyrics on later albums like "Persecution Mania" and "Agent Orange", that focused basically on war themes, but they're not really bad, either. Tom Angelripper's voice here is just insane. Growled vocals, his trademark, but sounds a little different than in Sodom's next albums, but still pretty crazy.

So, enough said. This album is an underrated early metal masterpiece. If you're into 80's metal and still haven't heard this, listen to it. I would point "Deathlike Silence" and "Proselytism Real" as the most awesome songs here, but the whole album is above average, to me. This is surely an album that worths being buyed and owned by any 80's metal fan.

Grave_Violator
    I ****ing love this album. I'm more accustomed to the US version though, guess the overtly loud drums and strangled guitar grew on me I guess. But to be honest I wouldn't have figured out Fall Of Majesty Town without the Steamhammer version.