Third review by Soft Machine

• Released: Jun 6, 1970
Soft Machine: Third

The Sound is great. Honestly, I dig it. The Drums are good, the bass is very broad, and nothing is quite as psychedelic as distorted keyboardsd and sax/flute parts. There are some guitar bits probably recorded by Alans Holdsworth (breif member). The reason this record is great is that each song is long and has something unique to it. Like Moon and June has the bass solo, and Facelift is just crazy awesome. Dig it.

The only lyrics on this album is on Moon And June, and the singer is alright. He sings high, so he can be heard, but the lyrics are vauge and somewhat rambling, but still nice inclusions in them. The lyrics fit well at parts, and sound great, and other times they are not so graeat. Still, not bad.

This is the only Soft Machine record I have, but I've heard bits and peices of other earlier stuff. If your a guitar freak and the music you listen to has tohave a guitar in it, then don't get this. Not much guitar in it, but one of the best fusion records I can find. My favorite song is either Out-Bloody-Rageous, or Facelift. Don't know why, but the have great style and composition in those songs. I love the entire album. Not one song on the first CD do I not like. There is a second CD recorded live at the BBC and it really isn't good at all. Just sorta there. I did have to special order this and this is a rare CD to get, so I'd definatly be pissed if it were broken/stolen. I'd have to got to PHil's to get it again (they stock Soft Machine for some reason). But this record is definatly worth the hastle to get if you can't find it locally.