Third review by Soft Machine

• Released: Jun 6, 1970
Soft Machine: Third

"Third" is the third album by the band Soft Machine. This album will not impress everyone through it's singing, but you have to appreciate that the singer is also drumming at the same time. The jazz-fusion sound of this band coincides with progressive rock to make a great performance in your mind, and will be satisfying to your ears. It gives off an aura that you will be feeling once the song has stopped. The album contains four tracks. 1. "Facelift": The song contains improvisation that starts in a way where you don't know where it will go, and by the time of eight minutes, you feel as if this band has been playing together forever. Each player provides a great skill in his own area of expertise. 2. "Slightly All the Time": A great track, with the possible best band sounds overall in unison. By the start time you know this track can be back round music to your everyday life. 3. "Moon in June": I've often listened to this song so I can go to sleep. This is probably my favorite song on the album as it is VERY well written. I have found this track to be amazingly distinct compared to any other song I have ever heard. Nonetheless the best track on the album. 4. "Out-Bloody-Rageous": I honestly don't know what to say about this track. At first I thought Soft Machine went all out on the other songs, they couldn't make another one, and boom, they make a fourth song that blows your mind with some experimentation and fluent playing.

The only song on this album that has singing is "Moon in June" sung by Robert Wyatt. Robert Wyatt has a soothing voice that sounds like I'm listening to good old fashioned jazz or blues. The lyrics are very good for having to be the only song on the album with lyrics. Wyatt provides and exceptional performance being on drums while singing. Although, I love hearing his distinct singing, there once again only one song with lyrics, and that could be a minor change. Kevin Ayers is sings "Singing a Song in the Morning" near the end of "Moon in June." Being Robert Wyatt's final album with "Third," I believe he could have sang a little more tunes.

This album was made back in June 1970, and is better than most any albums of any other genre. My favorite song by them has to be "Moon in June," with "Facelift" second. It won jazz album of the year in 1970, for a reason. I love this album for not being too self-indulgent it has mostly good playing throughout all 4 LP's. This album is unique in its own way. It is very proggy, but jazz-fusion being dominantly the centerpiece of this album. The band knew it as good, and so did their fans. Truly a work of art.