Figure Number Five review by Soilwork

• Released: May 6, 2003
Soilwork: Figure Number Five

Well first off, that guy above me doesn't know what he is on about, I have been a fan of Soilwork since 1998 and they sound nothing like Rammstein or Stratovarius. Anyway, Figure Number Five is a landmark album in Soilwork's history. This is album where they began to move away from their more aggressive almost death/thrash sound for their early albums, with this album they have clearly experimented with the Death Metal genre, in a similar to In Flames who are close friends of Soilwork. This album has touches of thrash, nu and speed metal, with Death Metal being the underpinning genre. The riffs are as brutal as ever and the drumming from Dirk is out of this world. Bjorn is as ever, fantastic on vocals, blending his brutal screams with angelic harmonies. All in all, the sound is nothing new to the genre, but still unique.

The lyrics on this album have come along way from those in earlier albums such as Steelbath Suicide and A Predators Portrait, the band have matured a lot so their writing skills are definatly improved. My personal favourites for lyrics would have to be 'Light The Torch' and 'Rejection Role'.

Overall impression is that this is a superb album, which shows them to be at the top of todays Death Metal roster, alongside the mighty In Flames. The bestr songs from this album (even though their isnt a bad song on it) would have to be 'Rejection Role', 'Light The Torch' and 'Overload'. Although this is a fresh attempt from Soilwork in terms of genre, this album is still as good as the previous releases and if it was stolen/lost, I would definatly re-buy.