Sworn To A Great Divide review by Soilwork

• Released: Oct 19, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Soilwork: Sworn To A Great Divide

The production we're offered is pretty much the standard fare for bands from the Gothenburg scene. There's plenty of 'oomph' but with sufficient clarity for this type of music. If anything, I'd like the vocals to be a bit lower in the mix than they are, but that's about it.

Most of the lyrics seem to deal with personal growth and choosing your own paths, surviving on your own and so on. Nothing overly unusual for this genre, or a band of their age. There're precious few lines in here which really seem to grab you by the balls, which is a shame. Another thing that somewhat bothers me is the rhyming of words, which almost sounds forced at times. An example of this would the chorus to The Pittsburgh Syndrome, but it is salvaged by the line F--k all the details, get on with the show. The lyrics aren't bad by any means, but they're also nothing special. In four words: middle of the road.

Soilwork's recent output prior to this album has been somewhat mixed. A bit too cute and not enough punch would be my verdict. This album returns to a somewhat more aggressive attitude (think Natural Born Chaos-era and older), which is always nice given the genre. Soilwork have their formula which works good enough for them, but it also gets a bit repetitive. The songs are very predictable and after my compulsory 7-10 listens, I'm frankly quite bored. The performances by the individual members leaves nothing to be desired, all the elements are there but the spark just never bursts into flame. There're several quality tunes thrown in -- the title track, I, Vermin, As the Sleeper Awakes to name a few. The album flows very well, they certainly know how to string together a tracklist, but as a whole, the album comes across as a workman-like effort. It's good, honest blue-collar working man's metal, but not much more.

HavokStrife
    Deflection
    The new album just plain sucks. They lost their guitarist which was one of the core songwriters, and now the band has lost their sound and touch. I listened to the whole album on their MySpace page, and NONE of the songs touched me, like Stabbing The Drama ( the song ), Distortion Sleep, Nerve etc. Honestly, now it sound like a mix between Soilwork and In Flames. It's more melodic death metal than melodic metalcore, which was their old genre. Soilwork is dead, I'm going to go cry now.
    swedish_death
    Holetebetish
    I have to agree with Alec, however if you're expecting another steelbath or chainheart then this album isnt for you. With the addition of daniel, i think they have definately redefined their sound. Personally i started listening at natural born chaos so with my favorite songs being as we speak and song of the damned, i think sworn to a great devide really encompasses their sound and sounds a lot fuller than some of their previous work. I still think soilwork has that same great melodic sound. And all i can say is try to get the bonus album with Martyr on it cause it is great music.
    fazgaz#
    too be honest all there stuff is good...theyve gained a reputation along with inflames as one of the best of the gothenberg scene.... nothing new is always meant to come out in each album damnit!!
    Reviewer Pete
    Baronobeefdip wrote: You all are retards that don't like this cd. And since you're not in the band there's nothing you can do about it.
    Allow me to 'lol'.
    Baronobeefdip
    You all are retards that don't like this cd. And since you're not in the band there's nothing you can do about it. Either like it or hate it. And so what if it's not like their old stuff? Since Wichers was the main songwriter and left, that IS DEFINATELY going to throw the whole band off!
    thebigal
    This album is lacking something. Stabbing the drama was a great album.
    jesse_drake
    I personally love this new direction. I didnt think that it could get any better from stabbing the drama but the first time i heard exile, it blew me away and i knew that it was gunna ****ing rock
    ratbob
    you can really hear Daniel Antonsson influence in the new album, and honestly you really couldnt expect Soilwork to not change with the loss of Peter Wichers
    Murder Soul
    Kestral wrote: Deflection, i hope you know that Soilwork were NEVER Melodic Metalcore. They were Melodic Death Metal.
    Well they aren't anymore...
    rokket2005
    I've only listened to it a few times,,,,but I was initially pretty disappointed,,,,I was hoping that Bjorn's work in Disarmonia Mundi might've rubbed off a little and that Soilwork would taken a turn back to Predator's Portrait type of sound with more guitar harmonies and such,,,,instead it seems that Peters leaving only further deteriorated my hopes of that happening
    Deflection
    I wouldn't count Stabbing The Drama and and Figure Number Five as melodic death metal. I guess the genre is hard to define. Melodic death metal is more fast playing and fingernotes. Soilwork is more power chord based. They used to be pure melo-death around the Chainheart-era, of course I know that. Melodic metalcore: Melodic+metal+hardcore, which in my opinion would describe the Stabbing The Drama-era perfectly in 3 words.
    ready2breakdown
    yeah nothing really really grabbed when I checked this out a few times on their myspace. All the tracks had this OVERLY similar tone to them. Which isn't always a bad thing, but it was in this case. Theyre such a versatile band. I think with Strid doing the speed metal thing on the side, he wants Soilwork to almost be the opposite. And he toned it down.(only making assumptions to make some sense of it) Now I do LOVE Stabbing The Drama, every song. And I'll probably end up getting stuck on this CD at some point mostly because I do love that sound of Soilwork. But this album totally left me wanting more, simply because I never got what I knew was there. It's like a total teaser CD like you really can envision the song like totally taking off and for some reason it doesnt. Maybe losing guitarist, maybe he took them to that point... And by the way! A really plus is the Solo(work)s.lol(im a loser) But it really blew me away though. Some of the best they've had.
    Kestral
    skyillusion
    To be honest, I love this album, it has some great tracks on it. Silent Bullet , 20 More Miles, The Pittsburgh Syndrome, I Vermin and Sick heart River. To be honest with you I love this entire album. There are only two huge differences in this and there past three albums. Not quite as much keyboard and the sound of the guitars, other than that the style and music composition I find to be quite the same. And agreeing with Jaz, my two favorite albums are Natural Born Chaos and Figure Number Five.
    creepingdeth428
    Don't listen to this review, it is very critical, I've heard the CD and it ranks in Soilworks top three. If you like STD, figure number 5, or natural born chaos, then this album is good for you.
    Jaz969
    HavokStrife wrote: swedish_death wrote: only good albums were steelbath suicide and chainheart machine. EVERYTHING else has sucked. I'm a huge Soilwork fan (going to see them at the KSE/LOG show and I'm kinda sorta PO'ed cuz I know they're gunna OPEN and they're my favorite band on the bill.) and my two favorite albums by them are Natural Born Chaos and A Predators Portrait. So eat it.
    I used to be a huge fan, my favorite albums were Figure Number Five (my favorite) and Natural Born Chaos
    devilshalo122
    i like the record...its sounds more like Stabbing The Drama than it does Natural Born Chaos
    Quackles
    I was not impressed at all by this album the first listen, but I gave it a chance and after a few more listens I actually started to like their new style. What can I say, it's nothing like their other albums, but give it a chance before you start flaming this album. I promise, it will grow onto you. And if you don't want to buy it without hearing it first, you could just go to their myspace and listen to the whole album there.
    Insolent
    The new album is a bit generic. I actually preferred Stabbing The Drama.
    _Alec
    I think it's defenently worth buying. It's a bit different from their previous work, but after listening through it a couple of times one notices small and big things that make it a good record
    Jaz969
    Stabbing the Drama was the most generic shit they've done, although I haven't heard this yet...