Sworn To A Great Divide review by Soilwork

• Released: Oct 19, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Soilwork: Sworn To A Great Divide

This is the new Soilwork album and it truly is a masterpiece is many different ways, but it also has it's weaknesses. It is said to said quite like most metal bands coming from the region of Gothenburg. The standard style of the song is a basic intro with screaming vocals, then the chorus with normal toned vocals and the ending with the same screaming and basic tunes as the intro. The overall sound quality is quite good but sounds a bit like Soilwork's other albums.

When reading all lyrics there are meanings behind them although they aren't so easily identifiable. For personal opinions, the song 'I, Vermin' is a quite good read. Many of the songs are about survival, atleast this is the first impression given. The lyrics summarized are good, but could be better.

Soilwork are generally a great metal band which aren't given enough recognition in the metal world. The featured CD, 'Sworn To A Great Divine' doesn't obviously sound like other bands and albums produced; it's quite unique in actual fact and it flows quite well for the listener. This album all in all is very good in the musical aspects, but many fans did expect more grip to all songs and more power. The things I personally love about this album and also Soilwork in general, are the way they structure each individual song. The thing I quite dislike are some of lyrics. Following the quideline questiongs for "Overall Impression" yes, if this CD was stolen or lost, I would most probably buy it again.

soilworker6661
    I have been a fan of Soilwork for many years and i have to say eventhough i liked their old stuff(i.e. chainheart and steelbath)i do like this new direction that they are taking even if Peter is not with the band anyone i found the new guy to be exceptional
    Vyre
    1) It's Soilwork despite not having Peter Wichers. 2) It looks back at Stabbing The Drama, and gets away. 3) It looks back at Natural Born Chaos, and gets close. 4) It finally brings back their Steelbath/Chainheart sound as an integral part of an album, instead of just using it in a couple niche tracks (example: Stalemate and Blind Eye Halo in Stabbing The Drama). 5) It's appealing to fans. If you liked Soilwork before Natural Born Chaos, there's something for you in most songs, like The Pittsburgh Syndrome. If your favorite Soilwork song is Distortion Sleep, you'll love As The Sleeper Awakes. I'm so glad Sworn To A Great Divide turned out like this. Why? Because things can only get better from here on out. If I were to listen to this album considering nothing else, I'd probably say it's just above average Gothenburg metal. Context, however, makes this Soilwork's greatest accomplishment as a band since Natural Born Chaos(for reference, my favorite is Figure Number Five). I can only hope Soilwork tour just enough to get used to their new lineup, and then enter the studio once more to deliver the inevitable powerhouse that Sworn To A Great Divide promises.
    henkka_potku
    great cd. I hate those fans who always whine about the new direction the band takes and stops listening... good examples are Metallica and In Flames.
    DEANOWAR
    WELL YOU CANT KEEP A GOOD BAND DOWN, MAYBE EVERYONE JUST WANTS THE BAND TO STAY SOUNDING LIKE THERE FAVOURITE SONG, MAYBE YOU NEED TO CHANGE WITH THE MUSIC, DONT BE SCARED TO STEP OUT OF YOUR SHELL, RESPECT THAT THEY STILL DO IT FOR US TO ENJOY. SOILWORK HAVE LOTS OF AWESOME TUNES FOR ALL MOODS OF THE MIND SO I THINK THEY RULE, LOUD AND PROUD