The Chainheart Machine review by Soilwork

• Released: Feb 8, 2000
Soilwork: The Chainheart Machine

Over time, Soilwork has refined their sound immensely, but The Chainheart Machine is one of the few albums released by the swedish quintet which seems to remain unadultered and completely natural. Much like their debut release, Steelbath Suicide, The Chainheart Machine combines elements of thrash and melodic death metal to create a legendary record. One aspect of this record which really impresses me are the many winding guitar solos which are followed up by speedy thrash licks. Additionally, keyboardist Carlos Del Olmo Holmberg adds very well-timed keyboards which are present in every song, but not overdone.

From the first track of The Chainheart Machine, Bjorn Strid's vocals really stand out, meshing perfectly with the music behind him. Aside from Strid's spectacular vocal style, the lyrics are about average for a metal record. None of the lyrics really shine over the others, but my favorites would be those to Possessing the Angels and Machinegun Majesty. Although the lyrical content is only average, Bjorn Strid's vocal style and deliverance clearly makes up for his own lyrics. Not a perfect 10, but certainly close.

The Chainheart Machine is easily Soilwork's highest quality release, followed up by their debut, Steelbath Suicide. What sets this album apart from other recordings is the sheer catchyness of the songs and spectacular musicianship that almost seems to be lacking on other albums. What Soilwork displays with perfection on this album is their ability to seamlessly transition from thrash to melodic in a matter of seconds. You really cannot pick out a couple of standout songs from this record, but my personal favorites are Bulletbeast, Millionflame, and Spirits of the Future Sun. There is absolutely nothing to hate about this album. Not one part about it gets repetitive, and it keeps the listener on his feet. If you do not own this album, I urge you to go out and buy it, for if it were stolen from me I would go out and pick up another copy in an instant.

creepingdeth428
    ganjawanja13 wrote: the latest album is the best..this one is a bit lazy...
    You cant be serious, STD is easily their worst album. Its good but it is nothing compared to chainheart. And how is this album lazy? the song structures are much more complex than anything from STD.
    HavokStrife
    STD isn't the worst, FNF is.. STD was like a breath of fresh air, at least they're playing metal again. FNF=Disturbed from Europe.. yes, Disturbed, oh-uh-uh-uh-ah. No wonder their drummer quit like, what, a month after it came out? This is a good album, but A Predator's Portrait and Natural Born Chaos are their best.
    emr_steelmech
    EVERY Soilwork album I have so far kicks ass...this and FNF are the only ones I don't own...I've been meaning to get them. Agreed that A Predator's Portrait and Natural Born Chaos are their best. Agreed that they blend melodic and thrash seemlessly.
    emr_steelmech
    ganjawanja13 wrote: the latest album is the best..this one is a bit lazy...
    Stabbing the Drama is the laziest one by far dude, what are you talking about? And it still kicks major ass btw.