The Panic Broadcast review by Soilwork

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Jul 13, 2010
  • Sound: 9
  • Lyrics: 9
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 9 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.9 (37 votes)
Soilwork: The Panic Broadcast
1

Sound — 9
Soilwork have always been an impressive band at the top of their game, and I think their back catalogue speaks for itself. Peter Wichers said of the newest album, The Panic Broadcast, "The next album definately needs more performance". I think this sums up this album wonderfully. It is quite possibly the best album they have released yet. They have a varied history, something I will not go into, but the songs on this new album cover everything they have ever done. The opening song begins with a quite frankly brutal musical section, right after a very short typically soilwork melody. The second song shows the incredible skill of Bjorn Strid on vocals, with some of the clean singing associated with later soilwork. The musicality on every song is beyond impressive, they seemlessly blend brutal with melody with breakdown with catchy hook, again and again and again. The drumming is awesome, in the best sense of the word, and very technical. The guitars are just brilliant, playing technically and sometimes incredibly fast, but slower and with a lot of feeling where it is suitable. A delight to listen to! I don't like to put individual song reviews up, I think the listener does that! But I could write a sterling review on each song!

Lyrics — 9
The lyrics speak of different things depending on the listener I feel, so check this album out and listen for yourself, its worth it! As for the singing itself, its possibly the best effort that Bjorn has put out yet. It sounds very slightly different to any other record, but its difficult to put your finger on it. He is as skilled as ever however, and it fits the music perfectly. I've already said a bit about the instrumentation, but again, its impressive stuff, no snobbishness, no showing off, well no more than necessary!

Overall Impression — 9
Its as good as, or better than other albums, but sums up soilworks career in one record. Late for the kill, early for the slaughter is an impressive track, there is sublime singing on Two lives worth of reckoning, and the solos on Night comes clean are awesome, and some serious drumming on King of the threshold but really all the songs are brilliant, I urge you to check this record out! Well done Soilwork, a brilliant album.

20 comments sorted by best / new / date

    nihilisticchuck
    The album is simply brilliant. It's Melodic Death Metal, it's suppossed to be melodic! It may sound pop, of the great amount of melody. But to be considered metal it doesn't need to be chugging guitars all along. They moved on, reinvented and make a good cd. I'm waiting for their next release to see what they'll bring to the table. P.S.: I know this thread is like 2 years old... but I just bought the Limited Edition cause it was worth the money.
    TormentedRx
    This album is sick. Anyone who thinks it sounds like pop either has their head up their butt, or listen to some really sick pop. No where near average, this album delivers in all aspects of melodic death. The only album from Soilwork you can even consider average is Sworn To A Great Divide, and even that album still kicks a good amount of ass. Sure, this album isn't Figure Number Five, but it rocks just as much while bringing new sounds to the table.
    TormentedRx
    fba217 wrote: no, no, no... this IS pop. Soilwork have been a pop-metal band for a very long time. Over polished and slick as hell. just because it has some metal influenced guitar work doesn't mean its not pop.
    So you're saying that to be really metal you have to suck at playing your instrument and sound like you did your recordings in the basement of your moms house? Because that's certainly what that statement would imply.
    KJKINFLAMES
    henkka_potku wrote: This isn't even metal anymore, it sounds like pop.
    EpiExplorer wrote: Painfully average. The new Stone Sour album is heavier than this.. Come on, you can to better Bjorn.
    well IMO this album is ****ing bad ass way better then anything stone sour came out with ever... it doesnt have to be heavy to be considered metal, also ive never heard any pop song with double pedal and some of the greatest guitar work of 2010.. i love soilworks older stuff (chainheart machine pwns) and all i can say is that just like inflames they have took a different approach on there newer albums but it doesnt meen it sucks... not by a long shot id like to see any of the people who diss this album create a song that could compare to anything that this album brings to the board... painfully average yea... right... this is an awesome album from an awesome band and this album is just the beginning of what they have to come
    Hessian_Peel
    Love this album. Up there as one of my favourites of the year so far. The Akuma Afterglow sticks in my head so much!
    Jon777
    It's a different album, but I love it nonetheless. It's great to have Peter back!
    Hessian_Peel
    Really? Have you heard The Isolation Game? If you think Soilwork is too 'pop' then how can you say Disarmonia Mundi are the alternative?! Personally I like both bands, and don't consider either of them to be pop music. Soilwork have gone through a natural development, which isn't a bad thing. To be honest, I'm glad they did, otherwise you always run the risk of rehashing the same ideas resulting in a stale sound.
    Patrijz
    I would say the album has a few pop moments... but 80% of it isn't (by any means) poppy! Plus is comes with some nice musical depth in epitome, enter dog of pavlov and obviously late for the kill... I'm not denying they are kinda accessible, but pop?! I mean come on, they have a long way to go before it turns to nickleback!
    EpiExplorer
    Painfully average. The new Stone Sour album is heavier than this.. Come on, you can to better Bjorn.
    EpiExplorer
    TormentedRx wrote: fba217 wrote: no, no, no... this IS pop. Soilwork have been a pop-metal band for a very long time. Over polished and slick as hell. just because it has some metal influenced guitar work doesn't mean its not pop. So you're saying that to be really metal you have to suck at playing your instrument and sound like you did your recordings in the basement of your moms house? Because that's certainly what that statement would imply.
    It'd apply to someone trying to pidgeonhole the people with valid claims. Soilwork WERE brilliant, but now its not much more than 'new' slipknot with a MUCH MUCH better vocalist. There's a difference between good production and clinical Meshuggary.
    cloud041089
    KJKINFLAMES and all i can say is that just like inflames they have took a different approach on there newer albums but it doesnt meen it sucks...
    you're right. the fact that it sucks means it sucks.
    EpiExplorer
    KJKINFLAMES wrote: henkka_potku wrote: This isn't even metal anymore, it sounds like pop. EpiExplorer wrote: Painfully average. The new Stone Sour album is heavier than this.. Come on, you can to better Bjorn. well IMO this album is ****ing bad ass way better then anything stone sour came out with ever... it doesnt have to be heavy to be considered metal, also ive never heard any pop song with double pedal and some of the greatest guitar work of 2010.. i love soilworks older stuff (chainheart machine pwns) and all i can say is that just like inflames they have took a different approach on there newer albums but it doesnt meen it sucks... not by a long shot id like to see any of the people who diss this album create a song that could compare to anything that this album brings to the board... painfully average yea... right... this is an awesome album from an awesome band and this album is just the beginning of what they have to come
    Oh lay off the fanboyism. If I want to hear Soilwork when it was good I'll just listen to Disarmonia Mundi over and over.
    Ishiga
    I've been falling asleep to this album on shuffle for the past week and a half. True story.
    henkka_potku
    TormentedRx wrote: fba217 wrote: no, no, no... this IS pop. Soilwork have been a pop-metal band for a very long time. Over polished and slick as hell. just because it has some metal influenced guitar work doesn't mean its not pop. So you're saying that to be really metal you have to suck at playing your instrument and sound like you did your recordings in the basement of your moms house? Because that's certainly what that statement would imply.
    I lol'd at your stupidity good sir. Take Incantation for example. They are metal and their production is really awesome on the newer albums.
    Hessian_Peel
    EpiExplorer wrote: KJKINFLAMES wrote: henkka_potku wrote: Really? Have you heard The Isolation Game? If you think Soilwork is too 'pop' then how can you say Disarmonia Mundi are the alternative?! Personally I like both bands, and don't consider either of them to be pop music. Soilwork have gone through a natural development, which isn't a bad thing. To be honest, I'm glad they did, otherwise you always run the risk of rehashing the same ideas resulting in a stale sound. This isn't even metal anymore, it sounds like pop. EpiExplorer wrote: Painfully average. The new Stone Sour album is heavier than this.. Come on, you can to better Bjorn. well IMO this album is ****ing bad ass way better then anything stone sour came out with ever... it doesnt have to be heavy to be considered metal, also ive never heard any pop song with double pedal and some of the greatest guitar work of 2010.. i love soilworks older stuff (chainheart machine pwns) and all i can say is that just like inflames they have took a different approach on there newer albums but it doesnt meen it sucks... not by a long shot id like to see any of the people who diss this album create a song that could compare to anything that this album brings to the board... painfully average yea... right... this is an awesome album from an awesome band and this album is just the beginning of what they have to come Oh lay off the fanboyism. If I want to hear Soilwork when it was good I'll just listen to Disarmonia Mundi over and over.
    mr_.mark
    Yes this album is great IMO too and the DVD of Dirk Verbeuren playing late for the kill is awesome. He is a Kickass drummer.
    fba217
    no, no, no... this IS pop. Soilwork have been a pop-metal band for a very long time. Over polished and slick as hell. just because it has some metal influenced guitar work doesn't mean its not pop.