Downfall Review

7.4
 7.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Downfall Reviewed by: krvolok, on november 02, 2009

Sound: Solitude Aeturnus' fourth album retains the classic approach by the band but also shows the element that will be shown extensively on Adagio and Alone. A serious lack of cohesion damages the album greatly. This is most likely due to the nature of the band at the time, this is shown especially on the lyrics and a bit on the instruments. The album also lacks much of the excellent feel in Through the Darkest Hour and Beyond the Crimson Horizon, All things said I prefer Downfall to any other Solitude Aeturnus' albums, for no obvious reason. Downfall will get under your skin. // 7

Lyrics: Robert Lowe is an excellent singer and on this album he does quite the job, I usually never sing alone, but with Downfall I do. But then we get to the bad side of Downfall. There are build ups that lead to nowhere and a few boring and tacky section. The album is doom heavy but with melodic hooks, melodies themselves are varying from "Elysium" to "Concern" that is from strange and mysterious to more open and singable. // 7

Overall Impression: I hate the sense of...rush I guess, the songs, apart from "Phantoms", and "Concern" doe not stand apart or stand out like they should be. However,the almost hidden vibe lives on even after a decade, it very much like the 90's, but the good side of the 90's and not the glitzy/and horrid -core and Nu that followed. Songs worth mentioning are "Midnight Dreams" "Phantoms" "Deathwish"(a Christian Death cover) and the best for last "Concern". // 9

Comments