For Aeons Past review by Solution .45

• Released: Apr 9, 2010
Solution .45: For Aeons Past

After leaving Scar Symmetry, vocalist Christian lvestam has immersed himself in numerous projects. However, none has been more promising to Scar Symmetry fans than Solution .45. Featuring a few of Christian's band mates in Miseration and The Few Against Many, as well as Sonata Arctica's former keyboardist and one of Hateform's guitarists, Solution .45 has kicked things off with their very first release: For Aeons Past. From start to finish, For Aeons Past spews out hard-hitting tracks characterized by sorrowful atmospheres and bone-crushing growls. No matter how heavy, though, they still possesses the beautiful vocal melodies we're used to hearing from lvestam. Jani Stefanovic and Tom Gardiner are both impressive guitarists that contribute progressively influenced riffs and blazing guitar solos in every song. Rolf Pilve is a fantastic drummer, and, surprisingly, I was actually able to hear Anders Edlund's bass lines. Mikko Hrkin's synth work adds a nice touch to the songs, often strengthening the atmospheric feel. However, the album isn't devoid of problems; a few things have garnered my complaints. While the guitar solos effectively display the skill of Solution .45's two guitarists, half of them seem like they were written only to be fast. There's nothing particularly special about them. I don't think I would ever rewind any of the songs simply to listen to a solo over again. Secondly, the songwriting could have been better; many riffs seem stale and similar to others.

With their power, beauty, and impressive range, Christian lvestam's vocals are better than ever. I've never listened to any vocalist besides lvestam that's made me want to scream-along as well as sing-along. Throughout the entire album, we are exposed to soulful, catchy, and melancholic melodies coupled with lyrics written by Dark Tranquility's vocalist Mikael Stanne. In fact, he wrote the lyrics for every song (with the exception of Lethean Tears, whose lyrics were written by lvestam). Stanne even provides some guest vocals on the album. While we're used to hearing Christian sing sci-fi-themed lyrics from Henrik Ohlsson, Mikael Stanne's lyrics are much more medieval/fantasy-themed. Stanne's lyrics are thought provoking, intriguing, and even reached me on a personal level with Gravitation Lensing: "Never again will I direct my shields against another, but turn it on myself." All in all, no problems here.

Upon first listening to For Aeons Past, I was slightly disappointed. However, after a good number of listens, it has definitely grown on me. The album is filled with a bunch of great songs, including the powerfully melodic Gravitation Lensing and the hauntingly catchy Wirethrone. The 16-minute epic Clandestinity Now showcases everything we everything we hear from Solution .45 on For Aeons Past: melodic choruses, brutal growls, and the band's softer side that we see on Lethean Tears, the album's ballad. It is also jam-packed with guitar solos. Furthermore, every minute of the song holds your attention. It may be 16 minutes long, but it doesn't drag on. I had hoped not to end my review by comparing Solution .45 and Scar Symmetry, but it's worth noting that even though Jani Stefanovic claims the band isn't a Scar Symmetry clone, Solution .45 proves to be very similar to it. In my opinion, Scar Symmetry's pre-Dark Matter Dimensions albums are still better than For Aeons Past. However, we must remember that this is Solution .45's first album. They certainly have the potential to surpass Scar Symmetry. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing their future work.

derangedxzombie
    Some songs on this album are brilliant, catchy, great riffs/solo's and Christians vocals of course. Mainly the start and the end, but through the middle things get a bit repetitious/samey. 9: Into shadow, woah, powerful song.
    redgravegilver
    Amazing album from start to finish. Christian's vocals are really ****ing top notch whether it's singing or death growls.
    EpiExplorer
    Better than old SS, but in my head, not as good as the new SS. Just because Lars' vocals fit the band more. Christian definitly sounds more suited to this and its a good album.
    jfreyvogel
    Whats with the mad low user rating? It's an ok album. Not fantastic but should still be over a 5.
    danatos
    7/10 . This album is good but not unforgettable ! It sounds like a Scar Symmetry's album, but without this beautiful things that's takes you in an other dimension !
    Jon777
    Charlie4
    The only reason I even bothered listening to this was because of Christian lvestam who's arguably one of the best metal vocalists around these days. Very skilled in writing melodies I think. Solid album, not perfect, but solid.
    A Ghost Reverie
    I loved Solution .45 the second I put it in. Its much catchier and emotion driven than anything that SS put out. Fav tracks/tracks I cant stop listening to. On Embred Feilds Adust(so damn catchy) A Close Beyond Witherthrone
    skatarist4life
    Jon777 wrote: skatarist4life wrote: skatarist4life wrote: This album does prove that Christian's vocals are improving and are getting better and better. Like Jon777 stated, this is their first album and I'm faithful that they will surpass their previous release, but IMO this album blew me away for what it is. Also, this album was written with other side projects WAY before the members came to form Solution .45, so take that into thought. I'm sure the next album will destroy. So am I. An update from today: Jani is no longer a full time member. He's gonna help out occasionally, but they're replacing him.
    Yea I read about that yesterday. He is also out of Miseration, which also has Christian on vocal, but is more death metal-ish than Solution .45. Both have new guitarists so all is good.