Leaving Through The Window review by Something Corporate

• Released: May 7, 2002
Something Corporate: Leaving Through The Window

I've had "Leaving Through The Window" by Something Corporate a little over 3 years now. This is one of those cds that you will get hooked onto everytime you listen to it. And if you were ever to neglect it, then pick it up later, you'll get hooked all over again. This band puts this CD together with brilliance. There are a lot of catchy songs, beautiful melodies, and the lyrics are amazing! 01. I Want To Save You - perfect begining to the CD, espicially with the simple piano opening, then blended in with a drum and guitar line. Opening lyric of "Standing on the edge of morning, scent of sex and New Found Glory, playing as she's pulling back her hair" is perfect. Song's about trying to save a modern girl, the mentioning of sex involved in why she needs to be saved is essential really. Song and guitar picks up for chorus throughout the song, simply a perfect opening. 02. Punk Rock Princess - I don't know why, but I really couldn't ever get into this track. The guitar riffs are great, pounding throughout. McMahon's lyrics of "You could be my punk rock princess, I could be your grage band king. You can tell me how you just don't need this and your going to be something" is great and placed perfectly in the song. I'd like for the piano to take more of a prominiant role inthe song, but other then that, my complaints are at a minimum and I still don't like the track. Wierd. 03. I Woke Up In A Car - first single from the album, is the defination of 'piano rock'. More fast paced paino opening from McMahon, again with the start of the song with only his voice and piano (similiar to track 1). What gets me about the track is the chorus, by far one the best I have ever heard (one of the reasons why SoCo is such an amazing band are their chorus's). Building guitars to the lyrics of "Well I woke up in a car, I traced away the fog so I could see the Mississippi on her knees. I've never been so lost, I've never felt so much at home. Please write my folks and throw away my keys". Fast paced song, exceptional lyrics of moving on, and amazing instrument plays makes this one a classic. 04. If You C Jordan - I'll give the band credit for writing a song about a childhood bully, plus putting pop sounding instruments to the song, but as a whole I'm not a fan of this track. In a way, it's too poppy and McMahon's vocals go from edgy to plain whiney on this one. Always skipped. 05. The Astronaut - first true ballad on the CD, but one that does fall short on some levels. My biggest problem with this track is comparing ones self to a space traveler, how tackful is that? it's a shame becase the piano on this track is excellent, along with the drums and McMahon's lyrics hit perfect pitch on the chorus, espicially when saying "I need to be high". If you take out the stupid comparison, it's a great song, so if one can get past that then I'm sure you'll enjoy the song much more then I do. 06. Hurricane - best song on the CD, would be the top SoCo song if not for that pesky old "Konstantine" song. Great monotone opening, giving into heavy guitars and a perfect drum line. McMahon basically ditches the piano on this one (except for the small solo near the end) to focus on keeping up with his band mates thriving guitars throughout. Make no mistake, this one is a rock song that will get you off your ass. Slow break of McMahon on the piano to the lyrics of "You don't do it on purpose, but you make me shake. Now I count the hours 'til you wake with your babies breath, breathe symphonies. Come on sweet catastrophe." to a final pounding chorus is amazing. 07. Cavanaugh Park - much better ballad then the first one on this track, about childhood reflection and what we all once had innocence wise before growing up. Is perfectly placed on the CD to go after the up-tempo 'Hurricane'. McMahon again shines on this, his work on the piano is amazing. Only thing keeping from it getting a better grade is the lyrics are subpar in my opinion. 08. Fall - another one of my favorites. Again McMahon ditches the piano to focus only on singing, although this is a much slower song then 'Punk Rock Princess' and 'Hurricane'. Very slow begining to the track with only vocals over a blase guitar and drum line, however both picking up to McMahon's pleading chorus of "And so I fall." The lead into the second chorus of "I was so close, that was the most that I have ever been through. Now old cassettes and cigarettes will be the ones to save you. How can you ask for me to stay when all you ever do is go? Just go!" is one of my favorites on the CD. This one gets in your head like 'Hurricane", another great one. 09. Straw Dog - if you ever get your hands on a live perfomance of this song, cherish it because it's amazing live. That said, this is one of their more poppy songs, however the guitar riffs are simply addictive and will have your head swaying back and forth through out the entire track. Song about confusion and trying to figure out what to do next, the fast paced guitars and extrememly catchy (once again on this CD) chorus make this one another great one. 10. Good News - really nothing special about this track, lyrics and instruments are very bland and lacking any sort of direction on this track. I really see this one simply as a filler track without any sort of purpose or audience to enjoy it. Shame because it's really on the only track on the CD that isnt aimed to anyone or different enough to give credit for at least attempting to write. Always skipped. 11. Drunk Girl - as a guy who has done this way too many times, I always laugh at this song. Very poppy, but they lyrics are just plain funny to me, espicially simply saying "I kissed a drunk girl on the lips" as part of your chorus. Brings me back to some questionable calls of my own drinking life! Great boozing song! 12. Not What It Seems - I want to like this song a lot more then I actually do. The message of ones life being worse then what people actually thinks it is is an intriguing topic to write about. Chorus is great, as usual, but the insrumentals leading into it are lacking any sort of buildup. Most tracks also feature a great fast paced section to the song, which would have been great on this track, however is absent. 13. Your Gone - I'm shocked more people don't like this song. I think the mixture of acoustic and electric guitars throughout the song fits the song perfectly, espicially when the emotions are suppose to be one of sadness and anger at the same time. What makes this track though are McMahons pleas of "Your gone... your gone... your gone... your gone... your gone... your gone... your gone away. If you don't like being hurt then please don't stay." The raw emotion going into each 'your gone' makes shivers go down my spine each time. 14. Globes And Maps - best piano ballad on the CD. Only the piano and McMahon vocals on this one, where he is simply spilling his hear about missing someone. I'll always give massive credit to anyone who has the courage to write a song that exposus themselves down to their core, which this track absolutly does. The final chorus and meloncholy piano base can invoke some tears.

The lyrics are smart, sexy, and melodic, influenced by years of Elton John and The Beach Boys yet definitely sporting a large dose of New Found Glory and Simple Plan. Most of the writing is done by pianist/frontman Andrew McMahon. McMahon has a way of taking the experiences, the positives and negatives of his everyday life and turning them into engaging and sometimes uncomfortable anecdotes, the verbage put to music with a definate hook. Guitarist Partington has his say on the album as well, his edgier music providing a great counterbalance for some of McMahon's softer offerings. Andrew McMahon went above and beyond on this release, perfectly expressing the emotions that make the genre as popular as it is. From love and loss to anger and frustration, to even just a few wierd lyrics about child hood bullies, the lyrics of this album are just as dynamic as the hypnotizing sound placed to them.

There's really not much more I can say about this. Something Corporate is an awesome band I've had the pleasure of seeing live a few times. This album is the epitome of great music. I could listen to this album for so long and never get tired of it. Some people give the songs Drunk Girl, If You C Jordan, and a couple other of the faster songs on the album a bad rap, but I really like when SoCo picks up the pace. I think Drunk Girl is a pretty funny song, and If You C Jordan is a good transformation of just saying you don't like a kid to saying you hate him. The lyrics get angrier at the end. I'd say this CD is worth the money it costs, and it gives a lot in return.