Live At The Ventura Theater [DVD] Review

artist: Something Corporate date: 05/02/2005 category: compact discs
Something Corporate: Live At The Ventura Theater [DVD]
Released: November 9, 2004
The cinematographey is decent, but not as smooth and choreographed as other concerts. The features are limited, but are defienetly better than nothing. The band plays very well for being so little known, and with as little fans they have in the rock and roll genre.
 Content: 6
 Production Quality: 8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Live At The Ventura Theater [DVD] Reviewed by: audioboxer16, on may 02, 2005

Sound: When I watch a concert, my main pet peeve is the sound and how it's edited. Something Corporate sure didn't miss much when it came to producing sound. Josh Partington and Bobby Anderson's guitars are practically perfect in every way, they're perfectly tuned, toned, and volumed correctly, at least I think so for the DVD shoot they did. The biggest audio flaw, although very noticeable, is too engulfed in fun and immaturity to be acknowleged. You'll be having too much fun dancing around to "If You C Jordan" to notice Andrew scream the last word of the song into his microphone as loud as he can. The sound seems muffled and crackled, as if everything was turned up too loud. This doesn't change my feeling of satisfaction for the sound of the DVD. Something Corporate's style is a very emo (emotional) type of punk rock, but definetely not too mushy gushy. The slowest song they play in the concert, called "Konstantine," is a crowd favorite and is the band's rarest song of all time, having only been released on two albums that are almost impossible to get ahold of. The song is about Andrew's old girlfriend, and the crushed feeling he went through when they broke up. The title is a reference to the 'constant' heartaches he used to get. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to the other concert DVD's I own (Rush In Rio, AC/DC Live At Donington, etc), I'd say that this DVD is a little less professional. The cinematographey is decent, but not as smooth and choreographed as other concerts. The features are limited, but are defienetly better than nothing. The band plays very well for being so little known, and with as little fans they have in the rock and roll genre, (compared to The Rolling Stones and/or The Who) they still find the funds to make albums and never dissapoint. This is one of those concert DVD's that, if released on VHS and I owned, I would buy again on DVD when released. Note that there IS a parental advisory label on the concert, not because ALL of the music is foul (some lyrics are dirty, but none of the songs have been bad enough to get any of their albums labeled), but because of the language Andrew uses during his short interludes. There is no nudity/flashing, drug use, or violence of any sort. // 8

Comments