North review by Something Corporate

• Released: Oct 21, 2003
Something Corporate: North

I was impressed, let's just get that out of the way first off. Now, I'll say this with pride, I can listen to just about anything (except rap and other radio-friendly BS) and probably enjoy it, but I just never got what it is to be "emo." When you've got bands out there like My Chemical Romance or Taking Back Sunday out there ruining what was a very underground trent, it's hard to understand the true meaing of emo. But I believe that SoCo has definitely hit the nail on the head with this album. I enjoyed the slow songs, the upbeat songs and (dare I say it) the beautiful ones. I enjoyed the piano work in the album, since this was probably the first time I've heard it really dominate any other instrument in a modern band. So I gues I can say that this was a pleasant surprise to see an emo band actually sound emo. This is not what you'd hear on the radio, and I'm pleased with that fact. And I loved how pure it sounded, although it could be very dreamy at times. I for one, love to fall asleep to Something Corporate songs, and I don't feel ashamed to say that at all.

All the lyrics, in my opinion, are solid gold on this album. You start off with "As You Sleep" which really sets the mood for the album if you listen hard enough. You then move into "Space" which is very energetic and it is exactly what I'd describe as true emo. "Down" is probably my second favorite off the album, since it has this dreamy little touch to it that relaxes me everytime I hear it. "Only Ashes" is, once again, another true emo song, with it's upbeat guitar and deep lyrics. "Me and the Moon" was a very touching song, and I loved how much it sounded like a ballad of sorts. "The Runaway" was not really a favorite of mine, but it was still very enjoyable. "Ruthless," I love this song. This was the first song that I ever heard from Something Corporate after my friend burnt me a mix with them on it, and this is the first song I listen to everytime I pop the CD into my player. "She Paints Me Blue" highlights the wonderful little piano parts this band is famous for. Now, I'm going to stop before I go on and on about the lyrics, but they all spoke to me. And just for a bonus, their singer has a very lovely singing voice, and it's just as addictive as hell.

Overall, one of their best albums yet. It doesn't compare to "Leaving Through the Window" in it's complexity, but it's still a wonderul little album for a new SoCo fan. Every song was a classic, and like I said earlier, "Ruthless" really stands out above all else for me. I love that these guys keep it real and are using all their skills to the utmost ability. I love this album, even though I was a little pretensious about buying an "emo" album. If I lost this album, I don't know what I'd do. Probably buy it again, yeah, but you get my drift.