The Farthest Reaches review by Son of Aurelius

• Released: Apr 13, 2010
Son of Aurelius: The Farthest Reaches

After listening entirely through The Farthest Reaches, the debut album of the American metal band Son of Aurelius, three words were muttered from my mouth, This is insane! The sound of the album was meant to pound ears with complex riffs and intricate melodies. Every note is hit precisely and the guitarists bounce harmonies off each other like they can read each other's mind. Cary Geare and Chase Fraser are very talented, and even add the mathcore feel by changing time signatures frequently. Drummer Spencer Edwards never lets the energy die, always adding pounding bass drums kept at an incredibly fast pace. And do not forget bassist Max Zigman, who gets mad props for adding his own fast grooves to the already complexified songs. The album is roughly 37 minutes long, with the only break of the intensity is in the song The Calm, which is ironically the calmest song on the album. The solos produced by Fraser and Geare consist of melodic bends fused with harmonious arpeggios and sweeps that capture their talent in a simple thirty second time frame. Not only do the solos show talent, but they fit the songs, and are not just thrown in for pure fun. The music never bored me through the first listen, and even on the third and fourth listen through I am still awed by the songs. Every song features completely different melodies, and the riffs are always changing you can always expect another jaw dropping riff or melody right around the corner. Do not forget the mixing quality; which happens to be spot on, sounding nothing like usual debut albums. Sons of Aurelius has a group of talented musicians to back up their name, and expect them to become highly regarded public figures for their work on the sound quality and perfection of the sound on this album.

The vocals on the album are done by Josh Miller, and he knows how to belt out the most intense screams and growls. The growls can be overdone at times, but they fit the intensity of the music the band was going for. The lyrics seem to be dealing with Greek mythology at times, due to titles such as Facing the Gorgon, and Olympus is Forgotten This album features growls and screams, and any metal fan will love the pure sound of vocalist Josh Miller.

Overall, Son of Aurelius has produced a great debut album. Their future looks very promising and I as a metal fan am excited for what they will have in store next time. Any and every metal fan throughout the world should defiantly give this album, The Farthest Reaches, a listen through. For the metal guitarists, the guitarists are very talented and the leads and riffs on the album will be tough to master. For headbangers looking for some new music to completely pound through speakers, this album has quite the punch. Every metal fan should listen!

EpiExplorer
    Sounds like Sadist, but much cheesier. Like the guitarist from Dying Fetus joined. I would like it, but.. theres just something from stopping me. Dont know what it is :s
    Lion_Slicer
    "the only break of the intensity is in the song The Calm, which is ironically the calmest song on the album." I realize a lot of people misuse/misunderstand the use of irony to describe things, but this is too much. "The Calm" being actually calm is the EXACT OPPOSITE of irony. You expect it to be calm, and it is. If it were an insanely brutal song preceded by an actual calm one, that would be ironic. Anyhows sounds decent, looking for something different and fresh, and this sounds like it has the potential even though any good death metal has no shortage of technical/progressive/math influences in general.
    cotton3434
    1000101 wrote: thank you, Lion_Slicer. that make me cringe when i read it.
    same.. :/
    LiquidMotion
    xD yesss like i said before this album's awesome! This was one i liked right from the start. It goes all over the place but somehow flows. If I have to pick a favorite song it would be facing the gorgon. xD
    crazysam23_Atax
    1000101 wrote: thank you, Lion_Slicer. that make me cringe when i read it.
    Agreed. However, s/he did actually do more than just throw genre terms around like a media hack. So, at least I'm still interested, despite the terrible grammar.
    HCH
    It's so weird to see this review on UG. I went to school with Max and Spencer, and this whole record has happened since we graduated in June of 09.
    srrdude
    1000101 wrote: kind of reminds me of the black dahlia murder with a little of nocturne-age the human abstract. don't regret buying this album.
    that is EXACTLY how i describe it to friends. I concur.
    sexclamation
    i think they sound more like a mixture of gorod and arsis... this album is amazing when listened to all the way through
    Aliens-exist182
    cotton3434 wrote: 1000101 wrote: thank you, Lion_Slicer. that make me cringe when i read it. same.. :/
    Same.. :-/ I got so pissed of when I read it, I was gonna rage at him if someone hadn't beaten me :-P