Ticket Outta Loserville review by Son of Dork

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
Son of Dork: Ticket Outta Loserville

First Busted and now Son Of Dork, a new sound and a new band. James Bourne is certainly doing well for himself, the sole engineer of a pop sensation back in the day and now hoping to impress with his new band. The name 'Son of Dork' originates from one of the best movies ever made, Problem Child. Stolen from a chant of the same name 'Son Of Dork' is a fitting name to this band. The sound, although new to James Bourne, is very 'american'. One of those 'punk/pop' bands springs to mind when listening to this album. 'Welcome To Loserville' is an album full of melodic charm and catchy lyrics and wont fail to disappoint all those teen boppers outthere. 'Ticket Outta Loserville' is a catchy number that talks about being a loser who gets the girl, but is then dumped. Some of the songs are very well constructed although 'Little Things' is very Busted like and I feel doesnt really belong on the album especially if James wants Son of Dork to be taken seriously. The riff to 'Slacker' also instantly reminds me of the riff to 'Crashed The Wedding' and really takes the shine off a catchy record, sounds not as good as the Green Days and Blinks of this world, but better than Busted no doubt.

The lyrics to 'Welcome To Loserville' are very simple. But that is the thing with James Bourne and songwriting. The lyrics, yet simple flow perfectly with the melodies. 'Eddie's Song' is lyrically very good and portrays the rock star lifestyle incredibly well and 'Holly... I'm The One' is a good rendition of teenage anguish. Lyrically they are not bad but they are intended for younger audiences.

Comparing between albums in the same genre, 'Welcome To Loserville' doesn't compare with the likes of any Blink or Green Day album, this album is way way better than any Busted album but you wont get any street cred for buying it put it this way. The most impressive songs are 'Ticket Outta Loserville, Eddie's Song, Party's Over and Holly... In The One' which I'm assuming while all come out as singles sometime in the near future. I love the catchy melodies but hate the simple teenage aimed lyrics. If I lost it I probably wouldnt buy it again simple because I have made backups of it.