For The Sake Of Revenge [DVD] Review

artist: Sonata Arctica date: 10/19/2007 category: compact discs
Sonata Arctica: For The Sake Of Revenge [DVD]
Release Date: April 4, 2006
The DVD was filmed in Tokyo, Japan in 2005. Clocking in at over 90 minutes, the setlist covers their entire career, from their debut album Ecliptica through 2005's Reckoning Night.
 Content: 7.5
 Production Quality: 9.5
 8.6
 9.4
For The Sake Of Revenge [DVD] Reviewed by: Night_Sonata, on may 14, 2007

Sound: The guys all sounded absolutely fantastic. They all played great, and Tony's voice was in top form. By far the best performance was by Henrik, because some of the stuff he was pulling off during the show was unbelievable. The sound tech for this concert obviously did an amazing job. There was not one volume issue throughout the entire show, and every instrument could be clearly heard at all times. I'm sure the recording crew had a pretty big part in this as well. I should also mention the lighting of the concert. It was excellent, with big colourful strobes and flashes, but also during the faster parts of songs, big blinding white flashes, going on and off really quickly. I think it really added something great to the concert. My only problem in terms of sound was that at times, the crowd was singing along, and when everyone in the arena was singing out of key and off pitch, it made some of the songs sound really weird, and ruined some parts of the DVD for me. However this only occurs rarely, on just a few songs. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I think this is an absolutely amazing DVD. The band was in top form, the crew was doing great, and the overall quality of the recording was just top notch in every way. The most impressive thing on the DVD would definitely be how well it was recorded and mastered. The sound and video quality was incredible, and it really made me feel like I was there and part of the concert. There is really nothing I disliked about this DVD enough to put in here. Any problems I mentioned earlier are very small issues and really won't get in the way of you enjoying the DVD. If this was stolen, I would definately purchase another one, as I feel it is a great DVD for any Sonata Arctica fans, and any power metal fans in general. // 9

For The Sake Of Revenge [DVD] Reviewed by: Nemesis 2, on october 19, 2007

Sound: This DVD contains the concert Recorded at Shibuya (Tokyo) in Japan on February 5th 2005, during the Reckoning Night World Tour. It is the first DVD for Sonata Arctica. The concert is energetic and dragging, as it mentions Sonata's most famous songs, such as "The Cage", "Black sheep", "San Sebastian". It besides ranges from the first album "Ecliptica" to the last "Reckoning Night". The band is dragging, Tony Kakko, as frontman, does an excellent work in singing, talking to the audience and drag and entertain fans. Jani and Henkka are a perfect duo, sharing solos and flashlight. The rhytmic session, with Marko and Tommy is strong and flawless. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall "For The Sake Of Revenge" is a very good product. It could be better done in the extras section, but to be a first DVD is always difficult! I like this DVD because it shows Sonata both in the live show and in real life, their relationship with other members and persons of the crew. I've a copy of this DVD I see very often, and I would for sure buy again if it was stolen or lost. // 8

Comments