Reckoning Night review by Sonata Arctica

• Released: Jan 25, 2005
Sonata Arctica: Reckoning Night

I had heard this band a few times on iTunes and What I experienced there and what I heard on this album were much different. There were a lot more synth sounds on the CD than I remembered and I didn't remember their music being so fast. I wasn't really sure that the stop after a few measures in the first song really worked but I am rather indifferent about it now. I think the band did a really good job engineering and recording the tracks on this album because with this kind of music, it can be hard to keep together sometimes.

The lyrics on this album are some of the best I've heard in a long time. I just thought the singing itself wasn't the best I'd heard though. He made up for it though when I read the album credits and found out that he wrote all of the songs but one on the album. You don't encounter many singers now-a-days who write much on albums. My favorite lyrics were on "The Boy Who Wanted To Be a Real Puppet" and "Don't Say a Word."

This is probably a power metal landmark as far as evolution of music goes. I only wished they had included more songs on the album than they did. It was basically only nine tracks that weren't that long. What was there was quite impressive though. I really liked the chorus in Don't Say A Word. That was phenominal. Unia may have been better than this record though.