Reckoning Night review by Sonata Arctica

• Released: Jan 25, 2005
Sonata Arctica: Reckoning Night

Sonata takes classic power metal and blends it with vocal orientd pop which is interesting but there are some problems with it. First of all, there are not very many riffs on this album and more of them would have been nice. The ones that were there I couldn't really stick in my head. The other thing is that the album has the possibility of going mainstream which is obviously not the intension. The sound overall though is remarkable. This is what power metal should sound like.

The vocalist wrote almost everything on the album except for My Selene which was written completely by the guitarrist. Tony Kakko spent a lot of time on the lyrics but I think he should have spent an equal amount of time on the music too. The Boy Who Wanted To Be a Real Puppet has the most direct and easy to interpret lyrics out of all of the songs but my favorite ones are in Don't Say a Word. Tony is a good singer but I think he bends note way too much in some of the songs. Especially Blinded No More.

This is not an average power metal album by any means. The lyrics are a real standout because some of the vocal melodies are phenominal. You could make a successful karaoke to Don't Say a Word, Shamandale, and This Ain't Your Fairytale. A real stand out to me was My Selen because it proves that Tony isn't the biggest cheese in the world. He'll share glory. The only problem with this album is that it might be a little poppy for some people.