Reckoning Night review by Sonata Arctica

• Released: Jan 25, 2005
Sonata Arctica: Reckoning Night

The first song I heard from this band was My Selene. I thought the sound was interesting and decided to find the album that it was on, Reckoning Night. The first track, Misplaced, give the impression that growling and screaming should be expected. Yet, that was not the case and clean vocals are heard.

The singer, Tony Kakko, has a very strong and almost operatic voice. Which is especially displayed in the chorus of My Selene. His ability can somewhat be compared to Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden.

If you were to compare this band with other artists, really you can only compare them to Dragonforce. Yet, for some reason ZP Theart doesn't really stack up to Tony. The only way to compare these two bands is by the work on the keyboard, drums and guitar. Herman and Sam are very talented and their solos are impressive and really say a lot, but, I only want to talk for so long. Their solos, sometimes, se to drag and it's like talking to someone who just runs at the mouth. A solo does not have to be 2 minutes long. A small 30 second solo with bends, slides, it can even be on one string, and still say so much more than a DF solo. The drum work is pretty much the same, but SA uses a bit more bass drum. Overall, The album is very entertaining and is worth the buy. It's about an 8.5.

Harry_66
    aenimafist : wow did i really write two reviews for the same record? damn...
    jajajajajaja genio, deja el faso