Reckoning Night Review

Sonata Arctica: Reckoning Night
Release Date: Jan 25, 2005
Label: Pony Canyon
Genres: Heavy Metal, Progressive Metal
Reckoning Night's greatest achievement is simultaneously representing the best of what power metal has to offer, while qualifying as a very guilty pleasure for metal fans who swear they hate the style.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 9.2
 8.9
 9.5
Reckoning Night Reviewed by: Saintsatan, on june 19, 2006

Sound: This is Sonata's latest full-length album. The bands haven't lost their guitar/keytar combination. The bass can only be heard at some points. the band's downfall is the drums. The drummer can keep a beat but nothing really technical. The keytar/keyboards overshadow the guitar at some points though. I'm not entirely sure if there is a story attached with the CD. But the band is showing massive improvement in their work. The band is usually considered a power metal band but they are far more speed metal than power. There is a bit of a bluesy part in some songs. Loads of variation between songs. // 10

Lyrics: Tony Kakko's lyrics have matured from Sonata's previous albums. His beautiful voice remains. I still can't believe he had never had singing training or lessons. I will list the tracks and rate them out of 10 each: 01. Misplaced - the song starts with a blast of Guitar and keyboard. Freezes for a second, and then there is a lovely keyboard part. Tony comes in singing. Great song with great musicianship with an epic dubbed chorus part. Though was never my favourite. 02. Blinded No More - rather slower paced than the first song. At the verse the guitar and keyboard quiet down from the intro. You can actually hear the basswork. SOunds like some improvised music from RuneScape or something. Great song. Ends with some sog bark. 03. Ain't Your Fairytale - no intro here. Starts of with a growl. And suddenly you hear singing, not from just Tony but from the whole band. Chords mainly with some keyboard shredding. The solo starts off with keyboards and then guitar joins in. This song is Energetic and fast paced. 04. Reckoning Day, Reckoning Night - the whole album pulls to a stop and takes off at a slow pace at the keyboard/piano part. No vocals. We hear Henrik show off his beauty at the keys. It starts off depressing and sad. Then goes to a spooky bit. Beautiful instrumentals. 05. Don't Say A Word - the single on the album. Most people seem to know Sonata Arctica by this song. Lovely keytar parts troughout the entire song. Powerful work from Jani on guitar. Kickass solo but overdubbed vocals on the chorus. Sounds pretty much like Blind Guardian's 'A Night At The Opera' style song. But still a great song. 06. The Boy Who Wanted To Be A Real Puppet - this is probably the cheesiest song on the album. It's about a guy who wanted to buy a puppet from it's master but he kept disagreeing. A great story song but they're not cutting back on the Cheese. 07. My Selene - the starting riff sounds like guitar but it is clearly a keyboard. The verse part sounds quite bluesy. This is a mid-paced ballad type song. It picks up speed along the way but Tony keeps it at pace with his beautiful voice. This is a perfect opener to the next song which is a huge twist to Soanata's style. 08. Wildfire - the hardest and most evil song in Sonata's career. It begons with a chatter asking some person what would he like to do to a town for kicking the guy out. 'Burn it... Burn it all' A sinister whisper begins the song. A heavy power-chord riff begins with some keyboard octaves. The chorus sounds off though. Sounds drunk a bit. Great solo part, what I would call it. The solo sounds like the music from 'King Of The Hill'. There is a 6 second part where there are soft voices but it's all a heavy and mighty turnaround to Sonata's work. 09. White Pearl, Black Oceans - the longest song of the album lasting 8 minutes yet not exactly my favourite song. It's about the sea a shipwreck or something. The verse is nice and the vocal skills are lovely but a bit soft for my style. It gets heavier at 4 minutes. Then another Blind Guardian-esque style vocal dubbing. A keyboard breakdown and then another soft part. Not my style but still rather good. Some good parts though. 10. Shamndalie - here's your obligatory ballad. It also happens to be one of the best ballads Sonata has ever written. The lyrics are unbelievably sad (I actually looked at them), it's about Tony losing one of his best friends, undoubtedly a girl. Standard MTV emo fair, yes, but he makes it work without being irritating as hell. Nice acoustic guitar work. 11. Wrecking The Sphere - I'm not able to call this a song. It's just them jamming on an acoustic at a bar or something. There are shakers, a little drum and an acoustic. A bunch of Finnish chatter. I don't like it and I'm not sure anyone else does. Good rhythm though. The lyrics comply to the music perfectly. Tony might be untrained as a singer but he sings really good. // 10

Overall Impression: It compares with a lot of power metal bands such as Blind Guardian. The most impressive songs in my honest opinion are Don't Say A Word, Wildfire and My Selene. Recommended. I love the band's inprovement in the vocals and the music. The lyrics have deeply matured from 'Walking around in the cold night air/Without underwear'. I rather dislike their take off of Blind Guardian's 'A Night At The Opera' style vocals dubbing. I also dislike the cheese used in some songs. Down with cheesy songs. I can't lose it since the CD that I have has all the Sonata Arctica Albums. The album is also on my computer's hard-drive and on my iPod. There is a very slim chance of the album being lost or stolen. // 10

Reckoning Night Reviewed by: aenimafist, on march 24, 2008

Sound: I had heard this band a few times on iTunes and What I experienced there and what I heard on this album were much different. There were a lot more synth sounds on the CD than I remembered and I didn't remember their music being so fast. I wasn't really sure that the stop after a few measures in the first song really worked but I am rather indifferent about it now. I think the band did a really good job engineering and recording the tracks on this album because with this kind of music, it can be hard to keep together sometimes. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are some of the best I've heard in a long time. I just thought the singing itself wasn't the best I'd heard though. He made up for it though when I read the album credits and found out that he wrote all of the songs but one on the album. You don't encounter many singers now-a-days who write much on albums. My favorite lyrics were on "The Boy Who Wanted To Be a Real Puppet" and "Don't Say a Word." // 9

Overall Impression: This is probably a power metal landmark as far as evolution of music goes. I only wished they had included more songs on the album than they did. It was basically only nine tracks that weren't that long. What was there was quite impressive though. I really liked the chorus in Don't Say A Word. That was phenominal. Unia may have been better than this record though. // 9

Reckoning Night Reviewed by: aenimafist, on april 21, 2008

Sound: Sonata takes classic power metal and blends it with vocal orientd pop which is interesting but there are some problems with it. First of all, there are not very many riffs on this album and more of them would have been nice. The ones that were there I couldn't really stick in my head. The other thing is that the album has the possibility of going mainstream which is obviously not the intension. The sound overall though is remarkable. This is what power metal should sound like. // 9

Lyrics: The vocalist wrote almost everything on the album except for My Selene which was written completely by the guitarrist. Tony Kakko spent a lot of time on the lyrics but I think he should have spent an equal amount of time on the music too. The Boy Who Wanted To Be a Real Puppet has the most direct and easy to interpret lyrics out of all of the songs but my favorite ones are in Don't Say a Word. Tony is a good singer but I think he bends note way too much in some of the songs. Especially Blinded No More. // 9

Overall Impression: This is not an average power metal album by any means. The lyrics are a real standout because some of the vocal melodies are phenominal. You could make a successful karaoke to Don't Say a Word, Shamandale, and This Ain't Your Fairytale. A real stand out to me was My Selen because it proves that Tony isn't the biggest cheese in the world. He'll share glory. The only problem with this album is that it might be a little poppy for some people. // 9

Reckoning Night Reviewed by: TocarLaGuitarra, on september 15, 2009

Sound: The first song I heard from this band was My Selene. I thought the sound was interesting and decided to find the album that it was on, Reckoning Night. The first track, Misplaced, give the impression that growling and screaming should be expected. Yet, that was not the case and clean vocals are heard. // 7

Lyrics: The singer, Tony Kakko, has a very strong and almost operatic voice. Which is especially displayed in the chorus of My Selene. His ability can somewhat be compared to Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden. // 7

Overall Impression: If you were to compare this band with other artists, really you can only compare them to Dragonforce. Yet, for some reason ZP Theart doesn't really stack up to Tony. The only way to compare these two bands is by the work on the keyboard, drums and guitar. Herman and Sam are very talented and their solos are impressive and really say a lot, but, I only want to talk for so long. Their solos, sometimes, se to drag and it's like talking to someone who just runs at the mouth. A solo does not have to be 2 minutes long. A small 30 second solo with bends, slides, it can even be on one string, and still say so much more than a DF solo. The drum work is pretty much the same, but SA uses a bit more bass drum. Overall, The album is very entertaining and is worth the buy. It's about an 8.5. // 8

Comments