Stones Grow Her Name review by Sonata Arctica

• Released: May 22, 2012
Sonata Arctica: Stones Grow Her Name

Despite the ups and downs of their recent album, "The Days Of Grays"; Sonata Arctica's thirteen years of experience really shine through. Every sound fits perfectly, all vocals, guitars, keyboards, drums, bass, and even the guest instruments like the banjo in the track "Cinderblox". There is a surprise as the last two tracks are "Wildfire Part II: One With The Mountain" and "Wildfire Part III: Wildfire Town Population: 0". They are continuations of the song "Wild Fire" from the 2004 album "Reckoning Night". At points in "Wildfire Part II" you could easily pick out some bits of the original "Wildfire" that are used, as well as some sounds from the album "Reckoning Night". The album is pretty much progressive metal through and through; finally shedding the power metal coat entirely. The album, once again, is a more solid progressive style than the last album. The tracks' lengths are more similar to Sonata Arctica's first two albums. Short, 3-4:30 minute songs that are faster and quick followed by one (Or two on "Stones Grow Her Name") longer song like "Ecliptica"'s "Destruction Preventer" or "Silence"'s "Power Of One" or "The End Of This Chapter". While most the tracks are strong and pretty well off; the track that stands out the most is "Cinderblox". I mentioned above that there was a banjo part. "Cinderblox" is interlaced with a banjo part that flawlessly fits into the music and doesn't interrupt the feel at all. The only track that seemed to be a little weak was "Don't Be Mean". This one just didn't turn me on like the other tracks did and it seems to lack the energy the other tracks convey.

The lyrics are not the same loveless werewolf at the door and Caleb breathing down a girl's neck. The songs are far less lyrically intense than "Days Of Grays", "Unia", or even "Ecliptica". There are still some fantasy elements, but they are toned down as are the metaphors. Two songs, "I Have A Right" and "Wildfire Part III: Wildfire Town Population: 0" have quotes from the United Nations "Rights Of The Child" and Sir David Attenborough. These work extremely well with the songs they are used in.

Compared to their early works, Sonata Arctica's "Stone Grow Her Name" is a far cry from the fast, power metal keyboard/guitar solos. When put face to face and back to back to more recent albums "Unia" and "Days Of Grays", they show they can ably handle the progressive turn they took about five years ago with "Unia" (I am aware that "Reckoning Night" had some progressive elements, but I'm talking full on progressive metal). Overall, I was one of the many who were unsure of Sonata Arctica's new approach; but after a few listens through the whole album I believe they have a tight grasp of their music and where they are going for the future.

Showiddlydiddly
    iommi600 wrote: This band is just as great as having your balls ran over and ate like a pork chop by a horse.
    Dude, that's one hell of a screwed-up fetish.
    dragozan
    Got my copy through the post yesterday, after a month waiting, and i was so impressed! My favourite band just keep changing! what's better than a band which provides you with such a range of sound? And "CinderBlox" really did take me by surprise! I see why Tony Kakko Himself loves it! Another great release from the best band in my eyes
    Countsluggo
    This is still power metal. But a great surprise as I'm not super fond of this band.
    EpiExplorer
    YAAH, METAL, WOOOOO
    Chozodragon
    This is NOT progressive metal. Come on. The only remotely progressive aspects of the albums woud be those half-assed Wildfire epics. The banjo in Cinderblox is nice, but that's about it. I Have a Right, Shitload of Money (my god this title sucks ...), Losing my Insanity, Only the Broken Hearts, Don't Be Mean (Come ON Tony, what's up with those horrible titles ? ) are plain heavy melodic metal, and mostly not that well done. I was greatly disappointed by the album, especially after Days of Grays which sounded promising. Stones Grow her Name (gorgeous artwork and great title, btw) sounds like a bunch of songs randomly put together ... It has no coherence at all.
    iommi600
    Mahoru
    jetfuel495 wrote: How does this album stack up to their last one?
    In my opinion it's heaps better in every possible way. I found The Days of Grays to have a great first half (up to Zeroes, included), and a terribly bland second half. That left me pretty disappointed, since Sonata Arctica have been one of my favourite bands since I was a kid. They've gained me back with this one, though. This on the other hand sounds much more cohesive and well structured, and most songs have much more strength while keeping the not-so-power metal sound they've had since Unia. In fact, I'd say this album sounds like a mixture between Reckoning Night and Unia. If you liked those, you'll most likely enjoy this one a lot.
    finleyhei
    I think I have to buy this one just to find out what happened to the Wildfire