Rather Ripped review by Sonic Youth

• Released: Jun 13, 2006
Sonic Youth: Rather Ripped

There are some artists whose every brushstroke, plucked note and keystroke are anxiously awaited by their fervent admirers. Sonic Youth is such an institution. "Rather Ripped" yet again exemplifies why Sonic Youth is the Grateful Dead of art-rock. Like those aged hippies of yore, no one does what Sonic Youth does, nor could. Pale imitations yes, but never matched, nor topped. With the exodus of Jim O'Rourke, the album also finds the band returning to a tight, four-piece unit. It's this essential core that makes the "Sonic Youth" sound so readily apparent and familiar, which is more than evident within the first few notes of the LP's opening track, "Reena."

A Kim Gordon vehicle that feels as natural as anything from the band's extensive back-catalog, the track pulls you into the album's world immediately. Overall the lyrics are awsome and the singing is amazing.

With 20-plus albums under their belt, Sonic Youth break no new ground here, but explore and expand on the firm foundation the group has been mining since its NYC No Wave beginnings back in the early 1980s. If it were lost or stolen I would definatly buy it again.

washingmachine
    icepot
    hell yeah. sonic youth is one of the best and one of the most influential bands within the past couple of decades. i just saw them live in portland, they used two basses, two guitars, and drums. kim everynow and then would switch from bass to vocals though. if you never have seen them live i highly recommend it. they use their instruments to make osme of the crazyist ssounds.
    DorkusMalorkus
    washingmachine wrote: I Love Sonic Youth and I love tis album! I was waiting for someone to do a review for this. I might do one myself. Is seems that nobody on this site is that interested in Sonic Youth tho
    I'm like the biggest Sonic Youth fan on the whole board!!!! I love them, and this album. I'm going to see them this Saturday...
    Nirvana12390
    I saw them in Austin a couple weeks ago. They were great, and yeah they used two basses and two guitars. They came back for two encores. And the opening band, awesome color, were good too.
    mrsbutterworth
    I do not get how Sonic can make the same sounding songs except different over and over, and yet still never make it boring. These Guys are absolute legends and are totally under-rated
    JLM
    Im just getting into Sonic Youth. I've heard Daydream Nation and Rather Ripped so far and I'm already addicted to their sound. Fantastic band.