Sound: When it comes to experimental guitar, Sonic Youth is one of the top pioneers. And it definately shows in this album. It has a very grundgy sound, but with a little more power. The songs definately have a dirty feeling to it, but it doesn't fail to impress. The "solos" consist of feedback and insane guitar schreeches that some might find rather annoying, although aternatively can be seen as noise art. Definately a good rescue rope for those sick of the power-chord regime. The sound is effective and original which is a definate plus for any album. The biggest highlight of the album being "The Diamond Sea". The riff is a catchy as well as distinctive and original. The song rambles on into a noise art fest with some annoying and some rather beautiful parts. Two dynamics that make Sonic Youth absolutely amazing. Another interesting bit on the album is the song "Unwind". If you notice, the song "Blame It On The Tetons" by Modest Mouse has a very similar sounding riff. But anyways, the album could be entirely instrumental and I would still love the album. Very amazing sound, definately something worth listening to. // 10
Lyrics: The songs, although odd, are very catchy. But not the sort of "pop-catchy" you'll find on the radio. The lyrics are sometimes very mysterious, sometimes funny, and sometimes just bizarre.
01. Becuz - first track on the album and is rather catchy. "Because of you, because of you..." Sort of a love song, but the meaning can change with the perspective of the listener. It is also said to be a homage to Patti Smiths "Because the Night". The lyrics, like a lot of Sonic's Youth's songs, aren't very straight-forward, but like I said, according to your perspective, it can mean just about anything.
02. Junkies Promise - clearly a song about drugs. More specifically, addiction. It is said to be about Kurt Cobain, as the two bands were clearly good friends, but Thurston Moore dismissed it and said that it wasn't. Regardless, the song is a good addiction anthem, and is quite the toe-tapper as well. In my opinion, one of the best songs on the album.
03. Saucer Like - personally, I feel like this is one of the more "happier" songs on the album. Sort of drug like and intriuging. Sort of a passive song that you'd listen to maybe after a challenging problem is finally solved and you're feeling rather pleasant about it. Pretty good song, but the meaning is not clear. But then agian it might not even have a meaning.
04. Washing Machine - young love definately. Very catchy and although the vocals are a tad bit annoying, it has a very appealing tone to it. Very casual and interesting. The lyrics are more than likely about a girl being used by her lover and her not really wanting to break it off. Maybe even from a Hooker's perspective. Very good song, has a major turn-around towards the end. Also rather passive. And one of the best just as well.
05. Unwind - probably one of the more poetic songs on the album. Very lullabye sounding, and is very lovey-dovey. Wonderful song. The guitar and lyrics really complement each other, and is also one of the softer songs as well.
06. Little Trouble Girl - a soft sort of very awkward song. The vocals on it are definately different, but complement the song in a positive way. On first hearing, it's really sort of like "What the f*ck", but it definately grows on you. Very creepy. Lyrically, it sounds like it might be a very strong relationship between a mother and daughter, later replaced by the relationship between the girl and her lover. Very weird song. Very weird.
07. No Queen Blues - one of the greatest songs on the album. Toe-tapper and such. Although the lyrics are a major mystery. Very good song, and will probably become an instant favorite.
08. Panty Lies - a very comical sort of song. You either love it or hate it. The vocals in the song are definately different, but it has the tendency to be a favorite amongst listeners. Sounds a lot like a little girl that grew up and became a slut. Very interesting song.
09. Untitled - no lyrics.
10. Skip Tracer - a very weird song, vocally and lyrically. Give's a lot of vivid details with a lot of good lines that will really stand out after listening to the song. Sounds kind of panicky and reflective as well. Pretty interesting.
11. The Diamond Song - definately the most popular songs off the album and definately one of the best. The lyrics have been interperated as very many things. But regardless, it is deifnately beautiful, no matter how it is interperated. The lyrics are amazing and beautiful and the guitar matches it perfectly, making it one amazing f--king song. Definaltely one of the best. Classic Sonic Youth song. // 9
Overall Impression: Overall, it was an amazing album. Some moments are annoying but after awhile, it really grows on you. It's an album that really keeps your attention from beginning to end and is definately an alternative to the popular fad of the decade that seems to follow us everywhere. One of the best Soinc Youth albums ever and is definately worth buying. From "Junkies Promise" to "The Diamond Sea", this is definately one of the best albums of our time, with more to offer than just a few top singles. // 9