Deterioration Of Minds review by Soreption

• Released: Mar 3, 2010
Soreption: Deterioration Of Minds

For my second review, I thought I would pick another band for which there was no reviews for. A while ago, I stumbled band called Soreption, Who is another tech-death band who doesn't seem to break out of any common ground with other bands to make themselves stick out significantly. However, what they do offer is a slight sense of "flow", packaged with some level of intelligent sounding material. The only way to truly understand what I mean by that is to listen to the album. Of course, the musicianship is nothing short of fantastic. The guitarist shreds, of course, and I can definitely say I LOVE HIS TONE (definitely the strongpoint of the album); Drums are tight, blistering and help administer this flow I spoke of earlier. The bass is actually there (unlike most bands these days) and while it's another band with a low growl, the vocalist seems to add a lot of power into his voice to where he sounds along the lines of Malcolm Pugh and Christian Alkjghfh (that guy who was in Scar Symmetry, I can't remember his last name for the life of me). The sound, when it all comes together of course, is like mixing the technicality A Loathing Requiem (as I mentioned, Malcolm Pugh) with that unique prog sound and heaviness of Meshuggah. Other bands who would fit this style are Odious Mortem, ALR, and MAYBE Decapitated's "Organic Hallucinosis". Considering how much I love the slightly atypical TechDeath sound... 9.

Dark, evil, poetic. Yep, it's Metal for sure. Some of the title tracks lyrics: "As it became peacefully colder All that was will never be The warmth of the welcoming black All that was will never be I don't wanna be a part of this Obnoxious decay Begging for pain to heal the words Of my acts, so repulsive and vile So repulsive and vile" Again, the lyrics are dark depressing and poetic. They aren't the most memorable word for word (for those who remember, I said the same about Decrepit Birth). So what makes the vocalist cool? His growl. There aren't a lot of bands who seem to have one similar to his (but there are, somewhere). They have the occasional overlaying (or gang vocals, as I see them be called a lot) which are cool because they are growls blended with slightly higher growls. 8 for being powerful, but not too original.

If there was one band (I'm pretty sure this is their only released album, correct me if I'm wrong) which had to be picked as the representative for what Tech Death is turning into, this would be it in my opinion. Considering how I find the same problem with the majority of tech-death bands (which seems to be how varied amounts of material sounds the same), Soreption is a band which ALMOST breaks away from that by giving each song it's own personal kick. Some songs it's the leads, perfect example being the end of "Breeding Exile" (perfect amount of reverb slapped on it, to give it a flying feel). 2 of the songs have unique, uninstrumented intros, and others have that slow crushing riff I was talking about earlier. IS THIS ALBUM WORTH ANOTHER BUY? Come on, who are we kidding? Does anyone REALLY buy music anymore? But if I did, I would buy it once more. Any more would be just unnecessary. Favorite tracks: "Breeding Exile", "The Hypocrite Undying", "Deterioration Of Minds", and "March Of The Tyrants". Impression gets a 9, because I am really happy with this album, I am wondering if their next work will evolve in some way or another. I have high hopes for these guys. Speaking of new albums, how's Necrophagist holding up?

EpiExplorer
    theogonia777
    meh. just listened to it, nothing special. the majority of the riffs seemed to be low chug riffs, not very many "technical" riffs. the only song that really stuck out from the rest was March of the Tyrants because there was a lovely acoustic/symphonic part at about the 3 minute mark, which goes for about a minute before ending the song with a minute and a half generic breakdown. other than that, nothing memorable. unlike the reviewer, i didn't really like the sound, but that's more of a matter of personal taste. like Epi said, there are a lot of bigger and better bands better represent tech death.
    Deathmethod
    EpiExplorer wrote: Obscura, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Aeon of Horus, Lost Soul and Neuraxis.
    Pretty much agree 100%, although The Faceless should also be on that list.
    azria032
    EpiExplorer wrote: If there was one band which had to be picked as the representative for what Tech Death is turning into, this would be it in my opinion. You've overlooked at least 5 bigger bands that represent whats good about tech death.
    Did you not read the words "In my opinion"?