Omen review by Soulfly

• Released: May 25, 2010
Soulfly: Omen

Max Cavalera of Soulfly and Sepultura has a signature sound and he remains as true to it as ever on Omen, the band's seventh album. With more than a half-dozen albums in the catalog, you know what you are going to get from Soulfly, but that's hardly suggesting that the band is churning out more of the same. Omen has lots of new touches that you've not heard before on a Soulfly record, namely Rise of the Fallen, which features Dillinger Escape Plan throat Greg Puciato lending his pipes over a both tribal riffs and a quirky, almost computerized guitar line. It's new, it's fresh. It's exciting. Album opener Bloodbath and Beyond, which of course makes me think of the home good store, is Soulfly at their fastest, charting a punk rock pace that repeatedly boots you in the taint. The hallmark of Soulfly is the percussion, which is as immediate as your own heartbeat and said thunderous rhythms assert themselves on Great Depression and Lethal Injection. Omen is meaty metal, that's for sure. Marc Rizzo's guitar acrobatics once again rise to the top of Soulfly, as he infuses the metal brew with plenty of flourishes and touches to keep things unpredictable. Crank Lethal Injection about two-and-a-half minutes in to see what I mean. Off With Your Head is another chuggernaut of potent riffs and rhythmic bluster. It's another faster song, meaning that Soulfly doesn't solely traffic in slower-paced groove monsters.

Cavalera has a deep, guttural roar that switches gears from a talk-style to a scream. There's a song about Jeffrey Dahmer that is named as such, and it's interesting to listen to Cavalera go that route, and he continues his tradition of socially aware and politically informed lyrics and subjects. Because of this, Omen is able to cross genre lines and appeal to the Slipknot fan as easily as it can to more mainstream, Godsmack and We Are the Fallen type fans.

Whether you've been loyal to Soulfly since their 1998-issued, self-titled debut, whether you're just RSVP'ing you your invitation to this party or whether you have been a Max Cav-o-phile since his definitive days in Sepultura, there is something you will dig about Omen. While the band does try new things and adds to the base that is their sound, there is nothing drastic or un-Soulfly-like. It's another platter of Soulfly doing what Soulfly does and in a world that is marked by chaos, disorder, uncertainty, economic crises, terrorist threats, one-sided immigration laws and other assorted problems, there's great value implicit in something comfortable and familiar that still manages to kick a whole world of a-s. And that's Soulfly's Omen.

Senor Kristian
    Oh, let me try! [code]Omen is able to cross genre lines and appeal to the Slipknot fan as easily as it can to more mainstream, Godsmack and We Are the Fallen type fans[/code] Slipknot is mainstream. They are crossing several mainstream genre lines to appeal to more mainstream fans. But to be honest. Soulfly is a fun band. I listen to them for the same reason I listen to Hatesphere. Good fashioned family funtime and BRAAWL!. And I'd probably go see them if I wasn't on vacation.
    duncang
    EpiExplorer
    Slaytan666 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: JordanDH wrote: duncang wrote: Knotism wrote: Xomar wrote: has anyone else noticed UG has them listed under artist as soulfy? i was so confused at first haha Well it is Soulfly, moron. SoulFY FY It was originally listed as 'Soulfy', with one L. Don't be so quick to dish out the insults, classy as they are. loooool. Heroic. Duncan to the rescue. EpiExplorer not dissing an album, although with ample ammunition? I'm impressed, although a little disappointed. lmao
    Lulz..
    5MinutesAlone
    Honestly i wasnt expecting much from this album. But when i listened to it.....F**K I WAS BLOWN AWAY!! The riffs are SICK!!! Lethal injection will get you headbanging like crazy!
    fendercobain87
    the whole album was ****ing awesome all 14 tracks well 11 but u have the deluxe edition this album is way better than any thing that sepultura has put out but max cavalera always brings his a game im not dishing sepultura i like like them but when max left it just went downhill but omen is a metal masterpeace i really enjoyed the reggae feel to soulfly7 off with there heads is ****ing brutual this album is a ten keep rockin..
    Peres.T.Peanut
    is it just me or does this reviewer keep screwing up in every single review she does? at least we don't see her signature "cookie monster vocals" on this one -.-''
    Slaytan666
    webbtje
    Oh well, lyrics which have "I, you, they" lines respectively does normally mean that the artist is getting a bit lazy in lyric writing (some System Of A Down songs for example) but you have to give the man some credit for trying :/
    Why on earth should I do that? It's rubbish, puerile playground wank.
    Nyhm
    its great. i cant wait for the new cavalera conspiracy though. oh and reuniting sepultura would be awesome
    EpiExplorer
    Duncan to the rescue.
    JordanDH
    loooool. Heroic.
    sXe170
    Haha i know right, this is definetly Metallica.. .....not
    Knotism
    Well it is Soulfly, moron.
    Xomar
    The_Casinator
    I don't really like this album. The lyrics are really terrible, and they emphasise the sledgehammer approach too much.
    FearOfTheDuck
    Galvatron wrote: I loved Max in Sepultura but his post career has left me unimpressed. His lyrics are cringe worthy and he swears way to much to the point that it becomes meaningless and comical.
    init
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    webbtje Ah, you mean like off the chorus to Frontlines: I don't give a **** You don't give a **** They don't give a **** Get back in the front
    So, it's like that Metallica song but worse? (some how...)
    Galvatron
    guitarsftw
    Soulfly is good ol mosh music. It MAY have some political themes here and there, but let's be honest, it's all about getting the people in the pit (not the forum, the mosh pit) pissed off to make the moshing even better.
    khujo1023
    I love how critical people are on this site. Good review, Soulfly is a lot of fun.
    Soundservant
    webbtje wrote: Max Cavalera of Soulfly and Sepultura has a signature sound Nonsense, he's hopscotched around death, thrash, groove and nu- depending on what was popular at the time. The only thing that doesn't change is his vocals. he continues his tradition of socially aware and politically informed lyrics and subjects. Ah, you mean like off the chorus to Frontlines: I don't give a **** You don't give a **** They don't give a **** Get back in the front
    Scumofsociety
    The way Soulfly changes, yet keeps some identity, with each album is what I love about them. There are some groove, thrash, death/thrash, and even hardcore punk influenced songs in their current catalog. To be completely honest, Max did succumb to the Nu-metal trend in the late 90's, but ever since their 3rd album they have been evolving back to the groove/thrash metal band they should be. Honestly, I liked Conquer better than Omen, but this album has it's great songs too.
    duncang
    "With more than a half-dozen albums in the catalog, you know what you are going to get from Soulfly, but thats hardly suggesting that the band is churning out more of the same." Yes it is!
    webbtje
    Max Cavalera of Soulfly and Sepultura has a signature sound
    Ah, you mean like off the chorus to Frontlines: