Prophecy review by Soulfly

• Released: Mar 29, 2004
Soulfly: Prophecy

Amid a war of words in 1996 when Max Cavalera left Sepultura, the metal world was left deprived of one of its leading acts. As Max tried his best to create something to rival the Sepultura legacy. It is with this album that I believe Max finally steps out of the shadow of his past. After a few miserable attempts this is the CD that Sepultura should have made after "Roots." It's cutting edge, it's experimental, it's really out there. It's the only Soulfly disc that deserves to be put in my CD collection next to Arise, Chaos AD, Roots, BTR and even the under produced Schizophrenia. It can never be as good as those albums, the Igor drumming is missing but as a whole this CD was a huge surprise since I had given up on Max after he created some pretty trendy stuff. The CD overall feel is non existent there are latino, r&b, thrash, reggae, jazz, nu-metal and metalcore elements. Some songs seem to really work well with the combination of so many styles; others just don't seem to pull it of. As a whole this album is an experimentation GEM, if at any point you have though to your self why isn't metal fused a lot more with Latin guitar, with percussion, with reggae, then listen to this. It's hard to like everything on the album because it's hard even to an open minded person like myself to feel every single track. But the listening experience is worth it I'm sure that anyone who was ever into Sepultura can find something that he likes on this CD, its not nor will it ever be as good but its much better then anything that Sepultura have put out post Max Cavalera.

Vocals and lyrics, it's hard for me to sum up the subjects on this disc, it tackles Religion, Belief, Faith, Death with clever lyrics about how the world has ended up regressing spiritually through its insistence on warfare ("I am Mars the God of war/You bow to me like you did before"). The vocals are well hard to describe spoken word, singing by Max, a few featuring including reggae singer (Moses), r&b singer (Wings) and Max's unmistakable old-vocals.

Overall this album cannot be understood by anyone who doesn't have an open mind. If Max doesn't pull of the experimentation it's still a listenable track but when they work, they sound grand, as in the Spanish guitars within Mars, the spoken words and reflective instrumentation in I Believe and the crazy percussion of Born Again Anarchist. The Latin jazz intro to Porrada seems completely random. But the album doesn't disappoint even with its flaws it's a great album over all from a man I had given up on. If I had it stolen, I would definitely call Max so he could give me another copy.