Children Of Chaos review by Soulidium

• Released: Jun 19, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Soulidium: Children Of Chaos

Soulidium is one of those bands that try to pretend they're heavier than they really are. They call their debut album Children Of Chaos and put ambitious signs on CD cover. They create a scary look like Indians that are frightening away the enemies. Listening to the music you realize they're acting pretty much like those Indians - what looks as scary as a metal emo band, turns out to be a hard rock gothic something. Even though they put the whole list of musicians, including Elton John and The Doors as their influences, there are a few quite evident bands like Stained, Puddle Of Mudd and Creed constantly appearing in Children Of Chaos. They say they've created the band through blood, sweat and tears and that is obvious through their music - very intense and crooning at the same time. I'd say boys don't cry, but that's not the case here... Most songs feature the same distorted guitar and all of them are very similar by sound. There's not a single song that stands out from the whole pile of monotonous tracks. The only chance to differ them is by remembering in which one there is a door bell, a phone ringing or some other electronic flourishes. There are a few Middle East-influenced melodies in a couple songs like the one in Live Forever, which sounds pretty interesting. There's an attempt for a power rock ballad, necessary for every rock band, - About You. It features dramatic strings and thrashing drums. Among the cool songs there's an easier song with a corresponding title Easier Kind Of Girl, which has everything a young unsophisticated listener needs - simple pop melody, light drums, some soar in the vocals for a macho image. It could be all good if not the silly girl's laughter at the end of the track that leaves you with no wish to listen on.

The poetry is what differs a band with talent from just a band that want to play loud. In the first case there's something interesting to think about, it the second - trite words that rhythm. I wonder if anybody still feels touched by the lyrics I need to feel your touch/Missing you so much??? Unfortunately that is what Soulidium is singing about. Vocalist Michael McKnight sounds so uninspired as if they've recorded the songs from the 99th time after spending two days in the studio non-stop. He's barely singing the notes without any intonation. On top of that he croons much more than you'd want him too. Both lyrics are the vocals make a really funny picture if you think of his scary serious face. Boo!

Ok, the guys have probably suffered a lot, they've done a lot of piercing that probably hurt, they're putting on make-up every time they go on stage and that should be annoying and tiring, but that's not an excuse to be boring! The album was produced by singer/songwriter Michael McKnight and that might be the reason for this sound boredom - it happens a lot when the bands are producing themselves or, which is even worse, when one person writes, sings and produces. He sticks to one sound what he believes to be the best for the band and excludes any variety of the music by doing so. Even the fact that the CD was partly produced by Danny Bernini - a man with such wide range of clients as Blondie, Notorious B.I.G. and P. Diddy didn't save the situation. Children Of Chaos fails on its main target - it doesn't encourage the listener to wait for the follow-up. Even though Soulidium try to create some kind of an attitude and have no problem describing their music as your mom naked, their music seems stale, like some bubble-gum you've chewing for a long time. It appears they have more of the image than the music. Or maybe they're trying to cover by provoking behavior the disadvantages of their music?

xmurderoticax
    becker009 wrote: first of all, i thought numetal was dead; haven't bands realized it's not cool to be numetal anymore? haha next, they sound like some crappy band on a wrestling video game and while i'm on the subject of video games, the singer looks like he might be a mortal kombat character. what a terrible band
    LOL well put.
    96' FenderStrat
    i listened to a preview of a few songs and im like is this a band thts trying to do creed with a emo twist? the singers voice doesnt change his pitch is the same it was pretty boring.....if anything th ebest track wld have to be the light...its catchy but its nothing id listen to maybe a once threw (if tht) and i yell get this garbage out of my ears....funny thing was on itunes ppl gave this band 5 stars its like wtf?
    jerbal
    what poor, deluded talent scout is getting kicked by his ceo cause he signed such a bad band ? WHAT LABEL ARE THESE GUYS ON !?!?! HONEST !? wouldnt they have done with atleast another 3 years of experience instead of releasing an album ? what a waste .
    mp3stalin
    vanceboy wrote: somewhat high rating for a shitty band...
    it's UG dude... if a review doesnt give something the highest marks possible... it SUCKS.
    TjGk
    Ohhh, I need to kick that guitarist's ass for playing the same Schecter that I have. Tainting the entire brand.
    ZeM00finMan
    mp3stalin
    Deanslinger
    mp3stalin wrote: ZeM00finMan wrote: What's funny is... no matter how much they suckkk They will probably become a very huge band now.. It's a proven fact... Shitty Music > Good Music In, most cases... All the braindead losers will love them... and they'll be 'cool' *cries* Music is going downhill psh... OK Go is doing really well. and they're great music that goes against the trends.
    OK Go is a boring ass band that sucks but can dance funny on treadmills. boourns
    kmilongo
    have you checked out their song "drama" on youtube? they are total posers that pretend to be gothic... but the lyrics are sooo emo. dude.
    mainstreamrocks
    You guys are a bunch of idiots who think they know what music is about. The band rocks but what you want i'm sure is for the world to come to their senses and only listen to bands with shitty names and music. the intricacy of music is what you judge on. not the soul of it. get a life. your all a bunch of failed musicians who are pissed off that they never had what it took to make it.. go figure....
    zrocks
    Who are you people??!! Do you really have any appreciation for music or are you just putting on a front??!! Soulidium is not like anything else out there right now and you all just can't handle it. How can you sit here and judge art anyway - I hate country music, but you don't see me up in here saying that it's not art, sh**y, whatever..The point is, everybody's got their choice music that reaches his/her heart and speaks what many of us have tried to say but couldn't because we're not all songwriters. Listen to the lyrics to "The Light" and I'd like you to just TRY to tell me that didn't take some talent!! Take care..have a nice day..and stop hating on someone elses success.
    slvwtr6
    LOL...no shit zrocks. I have followed this band for a long time now and have the CD...yeah I actually have listened to it....unlike most of the people that posted here....and it is REALLY good. You know, I saw a few comments about TDG....ha ha they are laughing at your comments all the way to the bank my friends. Soulidium has a killer sound with a lead vocalist who has an incredibly unique voice and the band flows very well together. And to the one of you that said that the band will be big one day because people love suck ass music or whatever you said.....they will be huge...but it will be because they are an incredibly talented band with a fan base that is growing every day. Hey I am as critical as they come when it comes to music. It is a big part of what I do. Please....most of the people that post on these boards are little robots who come in and chant agreeing with whatever the "reviewer" said. I guarantee you if he had come in and said the band rocked....most of the comments that followed would have also mirrored what he said. People don't think for themselves anymore....I mean that is obvious being as just about everyone that commented had NOT even listened to the CD yet they said they "wouldn't waste their money on it" now after this review. Good little puppets...errr...sorry...robots. Listen, it's cool for everyone to have an opinion about music....that's why we live in America people...but do us all a favor..and have your OWN opinion and stop embarrassing yourself by hanging on to the nearest leash and doing what your owner says. Hey, that's just my opinion...but at least it's MINE. Much love!
    jokeme0ff
    OMG you are sooo right slvwtr6!!! Most of these guys a little pussy posers just agreeing with the reviewer. Soulidium rocks! I glad to hear something new in rock! I'm 40 years old and have heard bands come and go. This one will stay! and to the guy that said "emo" WTF? This isn't "My Chemical Pisspants"
    gruntgrl
    What is wrong with you people? Are you tapped in the head. What's funny is... no matter how much they suckkk They will probably become a very huge band now.. It's a proven fact... Shitty Music > Good Music In, most cases... All the braindead losers will love them... and they'll be 'cool' *cries* Music is going downhill Pleeze tell what the **** your trying to prove. Get a life get a hobby...get lucky..get laid..but stay away from real music. Opinions are like *****s EVERYBODY has one. I knew them for a yr now and they are the greatest people on the earth. They will rise above and beyond. Mainstreamrocks, zrocks, slvwtr6 :jokeme0ff :MUTTSLAVE : speak the truth and I couldn't agree more with them Soulidium Will Always Be Around. Can you say that for your one hit wonders? WELCOME TO THE NEW MILLENIUM AND THE MUSIC THAT GOES WITH IT ! I Love Soulidium And The Slaves. We are a family.
    Drakkian
    Mainstreamrocks, zrocks, slvwtr6 :jokeme0ff :MUTTSLAVE : speak the truth and I couldn't agree more with them Soulidium Will Always Be Around. Can you say that for your one hit wonders? WELCOME TO THE NEW MILLENIUM AND THE MUSIC THAT GOES WITH IT ! I Love Soulidium And The Slaves. We are a family. Well said Gruntgrl! Soulidium is the best band out there right now and I am proud to be a part of that family!! I have not bought a CD in over 10 years, but I definately bought this one! So piss off all you losers that commented without even listening..
    WertKron
    First of all, anyone who has a name 'Mainstreamrocks' unless it is meant to be said with sarcasm, does not have an opinion in life and clearly is one of the "... idiots who think they know what music is about." i couldn't let that one go. Second of all, i read the mixed reviews, so i had to listen to it for myself to get the whole story. And yes, they sound exactly like 3 days grace, or any of those other numetal repatative bands. Is it a step up for that emo/screamo, whiney cut yourself bands, hell yes and thank God we aren't completely subjected to that crap. But these guys aren't artisits, they throw together simple, slightly beefy riffs, throw some over done whiney ass typical lyrics over it, and wrap it all up with a super ghoulie ass image. So if thats what you're into, these guys are right up your alley. But, if you're interested in true art and expression through talent and passion with a creative individualistic twist, which is what i call music, then really, like the first 20 comments stated, dont waste your time
    jblacksher
    Awesome review. Although it seems like music is dying but the fashion statement saying your in a band lives on. Although I give respect to anybody who makes an album its hard work no matter how shitty it sounds. I haven't listened to any of their stuff and I intend on doing it more or less to get an opinion about them. Although I stick to my first opinion we need more blind people signing bands anymore because it seems like if you have the look regardless of the music your famous.
    becker009
    catchtherainbow
    ok if it's not for the make up..I wouldn't hate the band that much..coz y'know..the music is the usual crap on radio anyways.. not gothic AT ALL
    whocares09
    haha... this is one of the funniest reviews ive read so far... but i kinda want to buy the album now just to hear what your talking about..
    z4twenny
    dude i don't even want to waste the bandwidth downloading this for free.....
    HeavenlyVirus
    Heard "Drama" on youtube...good god, it's the same boring guitar riff over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
    Nightfyre
    Kronan wrote: Three Days Grace, anyone?
    ouch, and very true. nice one... 3dg really is one of the most repetitive bands i've heard, and i'm not gonna check this one out, i don't wanna hear something even worse...
    thycrusader
    Green Cubs Hat
    honestly... if you need a good laugh, look at this band's website... on one page it has a flash image that scrolls through a few comments that people have said about them, such as how innovative they are, and how much integrity they have... thanks UG for once again showing me the worst music there is available... thats why I keep coming back... that and the tabs.
    scarfacesuit
    it sounds like rosie o'donnell trying to make a metal band, but worse. i literally cringed while listening to it
    TC1223
    you can actually tell by the picture of these guys that they were going to suck ! haha
    ldnovelo2
    man, when i rad this, i thought it said Children of Bodom:soulidium and that alexi laiho had done some surgery to himself... now you all think i'm a fag
    scarfacesuit
    ldnovelo2 wrote: man, when i rad this, i thought it said Children of Bodom:soulidiumand that alexi laiho had done some surgery to himself... now you all think i'm a fag
    i originally thought it said something about children of bodom too. don't worry, i made the same mistake.
    kmilongo
    dude, this review was so funny! i might as well go ahead and see what this is all about.
    hinin
    thycrusader wrote: don't bother with this band, they'll die out just like paris hilton's music career.
    Yes! THAT was the sound I was thinking they sounded like. Something disgusting and created in a lab. Like AIDS? I actually thought "if its THAT bad I wanna see..." Really. It IS that bad and save your time anyone thinking the same.
    slash6464
    finally an honest review, everyone else only talks about the good and shows hints of there negatives. lol i thought this was about bodom, thats why i opened it up, cos i thougt laiho was starting to dress liek a fag in that picture.
    Teufel
    Ha! Just look at them, they look like complete dumb asses as it is. Their appearance reflects their handicap in regards to composing aesthetically pleasing tunes.
    saosin22533
    they are horrible...not even one hit wonders...i hope to god that this will be their only album...i can't put it into words, they are undescribeably bad...