Badmotorfinger review by Soundgarden

• Released: Jan 1, 1991
Soundgarden: Badmotorfinger

I don't care what some other people say about Soungarden. This is a metal album, and a hell of a good one at that. Lead guitarist Kim Thayil coaxes some Tom Morello-like sounds from his instrument, using shrill feedback and various other effects. He pounds out numerous memorable riffs, from the opening frenzy, Rusty Cage, to the album epic (and my favorite), Slaves and Bulldozers. Chris Cornell shrieks like a madman, and is versatile enough to tone it down when the occasion calls. I swear, he could peel paint off the walls with his Robert Plant impression. He's easily one of the best vocalists of all time. As for the overall sound of this album, it's much more raw than it's follow-up, the smash hit Superunknown. While I do recommend that album too, this is the essential album for the average rock and metal fan.

I have always thought that Chris Cornell wrote mediocre lyrics, especially now that he's formed Audioslave. But, he just sings them with so much conviction, I can't help but listen to every word he's saying. Although the lyrics on this album are decent.

My pick for one of the best albums of the early '90s, along with Rage Against The Machine's debut. It's a shame that Badmotorfinger was lost among the mainstream successes surrounding them, like Ten from pearl jam and Nevermind from Nirvana, but this is still a great pick up. But if you're looking for that mainstream quality, I also recommend Superunknown, their Blockbuster follow-up, although it's a completely different album.