Badmotorfinger review by Soundgarden

• Released: Jan 1, 1991
Soundgarden: Badmotorfinger

Soundgarden are easily one of the greatest bands of the 90s, perhaps even all-time, and Badmotorfinger is them at the peak of their musicianship, passion and intensity. The sound on this album is 100% raw, unbridled hard rock with heavy, detuned guitar thunder and piercing vocals to match. It might not be as musically mature as later efforts, but the amount of energy present makes up for it ten fold. Easily the heaviest record of the grunge era next to Dirt.

Chris Cornell's lyrical abilities are simply amazing. His master of metaphore and phrasing is second to none, and his voice is godly. This album really shows off his talent, especially as a vocalist. Take note to Slaves & Bulldozers and Jesus Christ Pose.

Rusty Cage- The breakdown from a fast, frantic rocker to a sludgy, pounding riff make this one of the best on the disc. Outshined- Heavy riff. Ripping vocals. Slaves & Bulldozers- What a song! Very heavy. Props to Chris on this one, he really screams his lungs out. Jesus Christ Pose- A frenetic song with superb musicainship, especially on Matt Cameron's part. Face Pollution- A short and uptempo little song. Very cool. Somewhere- Time to slow it down a bit. Love the melody and chorus on this one. Searching With my Good Eye Closed- Amazing. The riff is so haunting and the lyrics are phenominal. Room A 1000 Years Wide- Carrying the mistique of the last track over, this one rocks a little harder. Awesome. Mind Riot- I adore this track. The melody, the vocals, the lyrics, the musicianship, everything. The best slow track on here. Drawing Flies- Another short, fast one like Face Pollution. Holy Water- Midtempo rocker with cool vocals by Cornell, as always. New Damage- The only track I'm not too fond of. It closes the album well and Chris really sings on this one. It just never stood out to me. Overall, Badmotorfinger should be in anybody's collection if they're a fan of hard rock.

Guitarded_Guy
    thbeekk wrote: When talking about the best albums from the 90s how can you possibly leave out 'Blood Sugar Sex Majik'?! Or 'The Bends'?! Come on man!
    mate PLEASE.. were talking GRUNGE here! dont mess it all up. and its 'maGic' by the wayy.
    AnimatedHand
    Soundgarden > Nirvana Don't get me wrong, I love Nirvana, but Soundgarden were in my eyes much better. Solos better lyrics better, chunky riffs... genius
    mitch rite
    Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, AiC, Temple of the Dog, Screaming Trees, Mad Season ALL > Nirvana.
    uberphreak
    savory_softy
    Coldiscool : I love how people think there opinions on music are facts that everybody should think. And because you don't agree with their music taste you must be stupid and know nothing about anything. It's sad but true.
    Coldiscool
    I love how people think there iponions on music are facts that everybody should think.
    axis56
    uberphreak wrote: mitch311 wrote: I love this album ,but saying it's better then nirvanas albums is a bit extreme. If you actually listen to nirvana, you'll realize while they're rated number 1 grunge. I personally think Nirvana is EXTREMELY overrated. They're good, at best. Most of their stuff is fairly mediocre and boring to me. Plus, Kurt Cobain's emo-kid attitude was never something I liked. Don't ****ing flame me just because I'm 'bashing on a dead guy,' I'm not bashing him. I'm just saying I don't like his music as much as everyone else seems to. I still respect him and the band for their impact and influence on music. However, that being said, musically AIC, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam are all vastly superior IMHO. Soundgarden is amazing. They're more original and have a better sound to me. Plus, Cornell can ****ing sing his lungs out... his voice is fantastic. I love the kind of grunge sound that could almost be considered metal... to me it's just superior to run-of-the-mill grunge. Superunknown is better, but this album is certainly great. Definitely give it a listen if you like grunge, or even if you're a metalhead. Just my two cents.
    kurt cobain had an emo-kid attitude????? what the **** are you saying man, he was there before it was kool he was like that because thats him, hes not sopme fag trying to look kool, listen to in utero and the unplugged album if you want to listen to quality music from nirvana aside from that i really like soundgarden and the entirity of grunge as a whole, theres no best or worst band in the genre, ther all insane
    Guitarded_Guy
    mate PLEASE.. were talking GRUNGE here! and its 'magik' by the wayy.
    axelaxe
    Battery Chicken wrote: This album was way ahead of it's time, if it were released these days it would've done way better but people just didn't get it in '91.
    ????? It was huge in 1991. Of course people got it! We loved it!
    redh0tchilip3pp
    Nirvana are the worst of the 'Big 4' grunge bands.
    Dontfakedafunk wrote: Soundgarden is not grunge
    Hahahahahaha.
    TiptonPhantom
    Personally, i much prefer Soundgarden. Especially in terms of pure musical skill, and to me i get more from Chris' lyrics than Kurts. But i do still love Nirvana. I love almost all 90's rock. Lenny Kravitz is still a god to me.
    koolfoolinapool
    montressor wrote: this was the album that featured the ultimate vocal power of cornell especially on slaves and bulldozers and jesus christ pose..... hey kurt cobain and chris cornell should not be compared to each other.. as far as i know.. i saw a picture of chris wearing a nirvana tshirt and kurt stating he was a big fan of soundgarden...
    Yeah. Pretty sure they were friends.
    wildchild6660
    mickjones76 wrote: Superunknown is better than Badmotorfinger? How can i say this and not get banned, i dont think I can. Please stop posting your opinions, when fact is fact.
    There is no such thing as fact in music or any art for that matter. Its about opinion and it varies. Live with it.
    sorrykid77
    con job wrote: mitch311 wrote: I love this album ,but saying it's better then nirvanas albums is a bit extreme. If you actually listen to nirvana, you'll realize while they're rated number 1 grunge. I only have one album from both bands but I gotta say i prefer Soundgarden. It's just that little more mature than Nirvanas
    but its not as raws as nirvana
    mickjones76
    Dontfakedafunk
    You all have no idea what you are talking about. Sound Garden is not grunge. Alt Metal would be the correct label if you have to label. Kim Thayil said this himself in an interview with Spin. Also Chris Cornell is a great singer and good songwriter, but Kurt Cobain was a great songwriter and a mediocre singer(which is not the point of his artistry).
    nave890
    best 90's grunge album period, jesus christ pose, rusty cage, outshined, room of a thousand years, awesome songs, they had the talent, the awesome riffs, I think Cornell's lyrics are much better than Cobain's ,although I think that Vedder wrote the best lyrics, I love nirvana, i love AIC, and I love Pearl Jam, but this wrecks all of them
    Cobalt Blue
    this is a great album, you don't have to look further then the half the track list making up like half of the best of A-sides to tell you it's a solid album. it's probably my favorite Soundgarden release, if not my favorite release of all of Chris's career.
    shwilly
    Only 5 reviews of this epic powerhouse record? Guess I'm gonna ad another one as soon as I finish my exams
    jahyarain
    forget about superunknown. that's when they started going downhill. Badmotorfinger, then Louder Than Love, then everything before them.
    thbeekk