Superunknown review by Soundgarden

• Released: Mar 8, 1994
Soundgarden: Superunknown

The sound ranges from metal to punk to oriental influenced rock. A very innovative record. The band manages to explore all these styles and still make them their own. The music also conveys the mood of each song very well. Unusual rythmes are also explored trough the album, and all are pulled of very well. Every band member writes music, which adds to their range.

The lyrics are very deep and poetical, Chris Cornell definately has a knack for finding the right words. There is probably a song lyricaly apropreate for every feeling a human being can have, from "Mailman" that deals with love and rejection, "Black Hole Sun" looking for something good when you feel the weight of the world on your sholder ,"4th Of July" which describes depression in a very beautiful way and "Spoonman" a very up beat song written about a seatlle street musician. Bassist Ben Sheperd sings on "Half" and does back up vocals on "Spoonman", and though he does not have the powerful vocal range of lead singer Chris Cornell he still pulls it off nicely. On this album like on all the others, every member of the band has writen lyrical material.

This album is without a doubt one of my all time favorite rock albums, the band has musical range that I can only compare to "Radiohead" or "the Beatles". Spoonman,Black Hole Sun,Let Me Drown and Head Down would be my favorite tracks of the album, though every song is worth listening to. If it was stolen or if I lost it I would definately buy it again, it is definetely worth every penny. I would recomend it to any fan of rock music because it has something for every one (especialy if you are interessted in experimental music and metal).