Superunknown review by Soundgarden

• Released: Mar 8, 1994
Soundgarden: Superunknown

When people talk about greatest albums of all time, this is definately one to consider. Arguably Soundgarden's best album, this is the one that features the classic songs that made us all fall in love with the band to begin with. For me personally, the first time I heard this band was when I heard "Black Hole Sun" on the radio. I immidiately wanted to go get the album. Ironically, this was not the first album I bought, it was A-Sides, which also features Black Hole Sun and all the other greats. From start to finish, this CD does not get boring whatsoever. Every song is great to listen to, with the exception of maybe Half, which I find a bit annoying. Nonetheless, this record is flawless, and I beleive should be called one of the greatest grunge, if not general albums ever.

Chris Cornell has to be one of the most innovative, brilliant singers ever. His voice is passionate and powerful, one of the main reasons this band is my all time favourite. He can hit so many ranges of emotion, from upbeat(Burden in My Hand, not on this album) to dreary(4th of July). Sometimes when you listen to a Soundgarden song, you'll forget about the lyrics entirely, Chris' voice is so good it's captivating just to listen to him. But the lyrics themselves are thought-provoking. One of my favourite songs on this album has to be "The Day I Tried to Live" followed closely by "Black Hole Sun". They're just 2 songs that give me chills every time I listen to them. Chris continues to contribute his wonderful skills in Audioslave, but Soungarden made his vocals come alive.

Again, just a brilliant, wonderful album. I cannot say enough good things about it. The same could be said for all the albums. This just happens to be my personal favourite, because it has so many of the songs that were instant classics all on one disc. I love all the songs on this record, but the ones that stand out that I love to listen to are "Black Hole Sun", "The Day I Tried to Live", "Limo Wreck", "My Wave", "Fell on Black Days", "4th of July", and "Like Suicide". But those are just some of the best. I love everything about this in closing, before I start repeating how great it is. It's tucked safely away so I'm not worried about losing it, but you can bet I would rush out for another if I did. Easily the best grunge/rock album I own.

bassplayer496
    Black Hole Sun's good, but there are plenty of songs on here that I think are better, like the day I tried to live, like suicide, spoonman, let me drown, but this album is an absolute classic, and badmotorfinger's great too. Chris is a great vocalist. ~Love, Dallas~
    bassplayer496
    And I don't know why no one points out head down as a highlight, I think that's song's great. ~Love, Dallas~
    tbarrettl
    If all Rock was as good as that on this Album Rock would Outshine any other Genre.
    soundgardenfan
    No matter what kind of music you listen to you have to like this album 12 of the 15 songs on this album should be listened to including 4th of July which i think should have been released as a single
    StringsofBlack
    absolutely 4th of july is so incredible. One of my personal favorties on the album was also Limo Wreck.