Superunknown review by Soundgarden

• Released: Mar 8, 1994
Soundgarden: Superunknown

Soundgarden seems to attempt a more radio-friendly approach with "Superunknown", however they still keep their heavy grunge sound intact throughout most of the album. The band hired Michael Beinhorn (as opposed to previous producer Terry Date) to take the reigns, and much credit is due to Beinhorn for tweaking 'Garden's style to make for easier listening. There are still a handful of "Badmotorfinger"-esque songs so the style is not a complete shift to something new, but the softer sound produces some classic tracks. As always, 'Garden includes many songs checkered with austere time signatures. Also, listen for Seattle mini-celebrity Artis the Spoonman banging away on his spoons in the song written about him, "Spoonman".

Frontman Chris Cornell is often credited with having one of the best voices in rock history. His vocals are in full force on this album, and his screaming/singing style fits in neatly with guitarist Kim Thayil's heavy chorus riffs. That being said, Cornell's lyrics are, as usual, subpar. Most of the songs he writes are generic and deal with the same issues he usually sings about (depression, relationships). However, the lyrics can be deemed passable because his voice makes the listener hang on every word he says. Bassist Ben Sheperd also contributes some writing, and he can be heard singing the song "Half".

At a time when Nirvana owned the rock world, Soundgarden seemingly waited on the wings, picking up Cobain and Co.'s leftovers. In an upset, I would personally listen to this album before picking up a copy of Nirvana's "In Utero", released 6 months before "Superunknown". Thayil cements his status as one of the best guitarists in history and Cornell puts out one of his best efforts lyrically (although that doesn't say a whole lot). Sheperd adds some interesting grooves, and drummer Matt Cameron bangs on the drums with plenty of skill and confidence, making "Super" the group's best album. The top songs you should download if you don't buy the full album are "Spoonman" (What I believe is Soundgarden's best song overall), "Black Hole Sun" (the group's most popular song), "The Day I Tried to Live", "My Wave", and the title track. Rolling Stone rated "Superunknown" as number 336 on their list of the 500 greatest albums of all-time.

Msu_Man04
    freedomdeceptiv
    Msu_Man04 wrote: "My Wave" - Best 5/4 song I've ever heard. (also the only one, but that doesn't make it any less awesome)
    dude, theres a section of for whom the bell tolls by metallica in 5/4 and a lot of others i cant think of, btw Soundgarden kicks ass
    fendercobain87
    a very well crafted album fell on black days is my all time fav but nirvana alice in chains pearl jam and soundgarden released alot of influential albums.
    Lost Dog
    soundgardenfan wrote: No matter what kind of music you listen to you have to like this album 12 of the 15 songs on this album should be listened to including 4th of July which i think should have been released as a single
    I agree. 4th of July is just so...ominous or something. It's almost like sludge rock, and I think it should have been released as a single too. Overall, a great, GREAT album. Arguably the best of the decade. The only song I don't like on it is the song "half". I think that one song prevented the album from being a total masterpiece, but it is still amazing.
    ffaf12
    str84ever wrote: I like all the songs except fell on black days, i really don't like it.
    dude thats one of my favs but fair do's