Swallowing The Pill Review

SouthFM: Swallowing The Pill
Release Date: Feb 8, 2005
Label: Brando
Genres: Rock
This CD is much more mellow than their first album, Drama Kids.
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Swallowing The Pill Reviewed by: stepco12345, on august 19, 2006

Sound: This album's sound is a step forward from their previous album "Drama Kids". You can hear the evolution of the band in this album. The guitar playing on this album is well done, but I also felt something lacking. However, despite this fact, the guitars went in sync with Paco's singing. There was good connection between them. After the tracks, "Surface", "Regret", and "Push Me Away", there is a 1-2 minute "sub-song" for lack of a better term. These are slow, mellow songs, which don't prove to be any real purpose, expext for the metaphorical meanings of "The Wound", "The Grieving", and "The Healing", which are the names of these "sub-songs". I find these "sub-songs" to be a waste of a couple minutes and I end up fast forwarding them anyway. The album starts off a little sudden and you get a sudden ear full of guitar. I would have preferred it better it is gradually got into the song/album. The album closes, however, marvellously. "Vesica Piscis", in my opinion, is one of the greatest closing songs on an album. You hear the ultimate potential of the guitarists and the singer, Paco Estrada. The song gradually gets louder through the opening part of the song and then gradually gets softer and softer. The album ends with acoustics and Paco's incredible voice, slowly fading out. Overall, I believe that this album had a good sound to it, yet, it missed that "something" to make it perfect. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are telling the story of Paco (the lead singer) and the last two years of his life. The lyrics deal with the struggle that was in his life. The lyrics were beautifully written and give a great sense of imagery to the listener. The lyrics at some times are cheesy, but sometimes cheesy works. These lyrics are written full of emotion and the listener can truly sense the emotion, and sometimes feel it themselves. The lyrics definitely connect with the music that is being played. When the lyrics have a somber tone to them, the music is played with a softer side to it, when the lyrics have a more playful side to them, the music coordinates and has a more lively feel to it. Overall, I found the lyrics to be well written and definitely the best part of the album. The lyrics are the factors that make this album a great one. I listen to this album mostly for the story that it is telling through the lyrics. A very well, written album. // 10

Overall Impression: For such a great album, it has not been widely heard. This is a shame, I found this album to be one of the better albums that I have heard in a long time. This album coordinates greatly between lyric and music. I love the lyrics on this album, they could not be better written. They display the amazing hardships and emotion the singer is trying to send out. With Paco's almost angelic voice, he sings the lyrics with grace. The guitar was not anything spectacular. The guitar was good, not saying it was bad, but it just did not have that certain quality to make it anything going "wow" for. I still enjoyed it yes, but ir was nothing that we would call legendary. This album is definitely an improvement from their previous works. They have become a stonger band and have created a lasting impression on me with this album. They have what it takes to become a "known" band. If their progression improves and continues, I will not be surprised if they make it big with their next album. // 9

Comments