Wiretap Scars review by Sparta

• Released: Aug 13, 2002
Sparta: Wiretap Scars

They use a lot of different styles on this cd. They go from clean to distorted in songs, which even if you do that only when you are performing and not when you came up with the song gives it a good impression. They combine their emo style which normally I don't like except from few select bands, and use the modern rock which I think is more accepted than any other type of music. Their keyboard also leaves a great impression. normally I would not agree with a keyboard in a band except for on select songs, like Led Zep did. But they have taken keyboarding above and beyond. Normally, the keyboard will just be another rhythm instrument, but it matches up with their lead. They guitar parts are not as edited and touched up as normal. If you think that's not true and no one does that, listen to track number 8 on this cd, or Red Alibi. Overall, I rate the sound a five.

Their lyrics are somewhat disagreeable, but in such a way that it leaves an impression of punk but not with the metal music. Their singer could be better, but their songwriter is a great (wo)man. The lyrics always go with the music, for example in Cut Your Ribbon, as the guitar and bass play loudly and with enough distortion to be noticed, but not so much to where you cannot notice the clean edge, their singer Jim Ward screams "Cut Your Ribbon." My overall impression the lyrics left on me was a 4.

I would say there are some albums better than this, but this can beat out a few. De-Loused in the Comatorium by the Mars Volta is ahead in my book of this cd, but this cd passes up Switchfoot, Three Days Grace, Shinedown and Smile Empty Soul on my cd rack. I would definitely reccomend to all of you emo, punk and rock listeners to pick up this cd on your next trip to the cd store.