Cabinet review by Spawn of Possession

• Released: Jan 14, 2003
Spawn of Possession: Cabinet

This is the debut album of the underground Swedish technical-death metal band, Spawn Of Possession. When I was listening to the opening track, of just what appears to be white noise, I could immediately tell this was going to be a terrific album. The quality is fantastic, and the drummer has some of the sweetest sounding kicks I have ever heard. I have a feeling this band will carry on technical-death metal, and keep it alive and true in the underground world. You will be blown away from the guitar structure, and the drumming. How they have been able to synchronize, I will never know. All I do know is they have a lot more talent and drive with their instruments. Now, it might just be my terrible speakers, but the bass isn't all that strong, although it is still one of the heaviest albums I have ever heard. They've really stuck true to the death metal sound, and themes. They have a Suffocation, meets Nile sound, only way more technical then Nile.

Jonas Renvaktar, the vocalist, has a tremendously brutal voice. He can go low, and kick out those lyrics smooth and rapidly. The lyrical themes in this album are based upon possession, religion, murder and torture. They are also very well written. These are some of my favourite lyrics. I have memorized perfectly the lyrics of the tenth track, Church Of Deviance. I will get chills down my spine when I read the lyrics and play them back in my head in the most demonic voice imaginable.

It would be hard to compare this to other albums, and artists. The technical elements are beyond comprehension. Guitar solo's, are clean and sweet sounding, and the pinched harmonics are flawless. The riffs are some of the finest in all of technical-death metal. If you enjoy bands such as Nile, Death and\or Suffocation, I would strongly recommend this album and band to them. Also to people who want to listen to new material, and appreciate the underground death metal scene at it's finest. Personally, Swarm Of The Formless, and Church Of Deviance are the best songs off this album. The intro to Church Of Deviance scares the crap out of me time, and time again. This is truly a terrific album, and an amazing band. Check them out!

THE NEKRYPH
    They have good quality? Well, I don't know, maybe it's just their distortion, but I did not like at all their sound, be it due to quality or distortion. However, they do meet my need for technicality, even though I do prefer Necrophagist in actual style....
    sevenchurches
    Noctumbalant is a better album. SOLEMN THEY AWAIT!!! lol But sometimes they have that Sleep Terror-ish tendency to throw in pieces that sound like they weren't thought out
    swedish_death
    I don't see how the **** you can call the sound quality shitty, or anything else subpar about this record. Spawn of Possession do not get the attention they deserve for being brilliant musicians, from a technicality standpoint and from one of music theory.
    SeanHart213
    you cannot find a better group of master musicians in the genre. necrophagist is very good, but i think that spawn of possession uses much more complex progression, cleaner playing, and less reliant on arpeggios for solos. also, what's really cool, is that Bryssling uses a 7 string and Karlsson uses a 6 string. makes for a very interesting stereo perspective, making each guitar stand out while out the same time blending perfectly melodically
    SeanHart213
    another point i don't think anyone made is that the drummer does a majority of the vocals. not to mention how insanely fast he spouts out the complex lyrics in such a brutal voice
    piratemetalhead
    Spawn of possession is AMAZING. One of the best death metal bands I've ever heard. I geniunely think this album deserves 8-9/10. Noctambulent is definitly a 10, thyough!
    THE NEKRYPH
    sevenchurches
    THE NEKRYPH wrote:
    Necrophagist are very very popular. And don't refer to Necrophagist as Necro, or people might think you're refering to the new york rapper, who is actualy really awesome. SeanHart213 wrote:
    you cannot find a better group of master musicians in the genre . necrophagist is very good, but i think that spawn of possession uses much more complex progression, cleaner playing, and less reliant on arpeggios for solos.
    SeanHart213
    THE NEKRYPH wrote: That is entirely subjective. I have less trouble playing SOP songs than I do with Necrophagist so yeah. I don't know what you mean by cleaner playing, their sound or their actual playing. Why do you think almost every single Necro song is tabbed fully?
    Tone-wise, Necrophagist sounds cleaner because they reamp, but SoP have flawless playing on both their demos and live performances
    DaMetalMaverick
    SeanHart213 wrote: sevenchurches wrote: I beg to differ. In the genre of technical/progressive death metal Cynic takes the cake. They are not quite the same genre, I don't think they fit into brutal death metal. But they do take the cake in master musicianship!
    Yes, but they're still both technical death metal bands (with Cynic being a bit light on the 'death' these days). And is must chuck in brutal to describe SOP, then it's more brutal technical death metal. Anyway, who cares??? As much as I prefer Cynic and Necrophagist, these guys are damn good and worth the credit.
    ^SiVART^
    necrophagist is not even close to as technical as Spawn Of Possession. Don't know why everyone thinks necrophagist is like the most technical band out there. Spawn Of Possession, Origin, Viraemia, Brain Drill, Monumental Torment just some bands off the top of my head who are more technical than necrophagist. But im not hating on them, I like necrophagist.