Cabinet Review

Spawn of Possession: Cabinet
Release Date: Jan 14, 2003
Label: Unique Leader
Genres: Death Metal
They've really stuck true to the death metal sound, and themes.
 8.7
 9.3
 8.1
review (1) 14 comments vote for this album:
Cabinet Reviewed by: laidu2rest, on december 13, 2007

Sound: This is the debut album of the underground Swedish technical-death metal band, Spawn Of Possession. When I was listening to the opening track, of just what appears to be white noise, I could immediately tell this was going to be a terrific album. The quality is fantastic, and the drummer has some of the sweetest sounding kicks I have ever heard. I have a feeling this band will carry on technical-death metal, and keep it alive and true in the underground world. You will be blown away from the guitar structure, and the drumming. How they have been able to synchronize, I will never know. All I do know is they have a lot more talent and drive with their instruments. Now, it might just be my terrible speakers, but the bass isn't all that strong, although it is still one of the heaviest albums I have ever heard. They've really stuck true to the death metal sound, and themes. They have a Suffocation, meets Nile sound, only way more technical then Nile. // 9

Lyrics: Jonas Renvaktar, the vocalist, has a tremendously brutal voice. He can go low, and kick out those lyrics smooth and rapidly. The lyrical themes in this album are based upon possession, religion, murder and torture. They are also very well written. These are some of my favourite lyrics. I have memorized perfectly the lyrics of the tenth track, Church Of Deviance. I will get chills down my spine when I read the lyrics and play them back in my head in the most demonic voice imaginable. // 9

Overall Impression: It would be hard to compare this to other albums, and artists. The technical elements are beyond comprehension. Guitar solo's, are clean and sweet sounding, and the pinched harmonics are flawless. The riffs are some of the finest in all of technical-death metal. If you enjoy bands such as Nile, Death and\or Suffocation, I would strongly recommend this album and band to them. Also to people who want to listen to new material, and appreciate the underground death metal scene at it's finest. Personally, Swarm Of The Formless, and Church Of Deviance are the best songs off this album. The intro to Church Of Deviance scares the crap out of me time, and time again. This is truly a terrific album, and an amazing band. Check them out! // 10

Comments