Noctambulant review by Spawn of Possession

• Released: Feb 5, 2007
Spawn of Possession: Noctambulant

2 seconds into the 2nd song Lash By Lash (1st is just a classical intro) I could tell this was going to be a great album. It is really hard at first to understand what is going on so headphones are a must in my opinion. The guitar work is very technical using some creepy scales and tons of harmony. I could only imagine how in the world they came up with most of the riffs. The production is spot on, very clean dark sound that delivers brutality better than most death metal. Only complaint is barely being able to hear the bass, and sometimes not at all. It's a shame too because their are some really good bass licks. Drums and Guitars rule this album no doubt.

Ok, I'm not much for lyrics/vocals when it comes to death metal in general, I'd rather pay attention to the instruments. However, the vocalist does a good job at the deep gutturals. The lyrics themselves are actually a bit intelligent straying away from the typical gore, rape, murder, etc.

This album is in a league of it's own and way ahead of it's time. I doubt we'll see another album like this anytime soon to be honest. I recommend this album to any fan of metal. It's pretty much one of those CDs that really say you know your good death metal. If you are a fan of Necrophagist, Visceral Bleeding, Cannibal Corpse, Psycroptic, Defeated Sanity etc. you really need to check this out if you haven't already. There really isn't anything bad about this album. Every song delivers in it's own right and keeps grabs your attention for the full 41 minutes. Pretty much every track is a favorite for me, so you really can't go wrong if you want to only check out one song first. The song Sour Flow is probably the best/most thought out slower death metal song in history, no joke. Once again, this album owns nothing comes close at all.

george1224
    this is an extremely talented band, they really should get more recognition for their brilliant work
    ruker
    In My Own Greed is probably my favorite. But, Sour Flow is so fun to play!
    RustedEmbrace
    ive heard a few of their songs and now have a new personal fav in this band. they kick ass!!
    swedish_death
    ruker
    swedish_death wrote: Scorched and Lash by Lash are my favorites. I have been working on playing Lash by Lash for over a week and still cannot get it up to speed. I must say the two Jonas boys are a couple of the best guitarists I've ever heard of.
    Amen to that brother. The cool thing about SoP songs are that they still sound pretty good being played at 1/2 or 3/4th's the normal speed. And I think (not 100% sure) but Jonas Bryssling (left guitar) comes up with all the riffs and Jonas Karlsson (right guitar) comes up with the solos. THANK GOD FOR THE SWEDISH JONAS'! haha
    NosferatuZodd09
    haha I agree with In My Own Greed amazing leads intro and riffs, Scorched has some sped up classical, its like a classical ensemble on steroids haha and also sometimes I think Brutal Extreme Melodic Death lol, actual death metal with melody... and the other XD
    SeanHart213
    they definately need more recognition, hopefully they tour the U.S. to gain a stronger fanbase and have higher demands for new material. Although, this album is still refreshing everytime I hear it.
    el_guitarrist
    by a thousand deaths fullfiled is the best song they ever did...i can believe their skill to do that