Noctambulant Review

Spawn of Possession: Noctambulant
Release Date: Feb 5, 2007
Label: Neurotic
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal
Noctambulant is considered a masterpiece in tech death by bands and fans alike.
 9.1
 9.3
 8.9
review (1) 13 comments vote for this album:
Noctambulant Reviewed by: ruker, on december 14, 2007

Sound: 2 seconds into the 2nd song Lash By Lash (1st is just a classical intro) I could tell this was going to be a great album. It is really hard at first to understand what is going on so headphones are a must in my opinion. The guitar work is very technical using some creepy scales and tons of harmony. I could only imagine how in the world they came up with most of the riffs. The production is spot on, very clean dark sound that delivers brutality better than most death metal. Only complaint is barely being able to hear the bass, and sometimes not at all. It's a shame too because their are some really good bass licks. Drums and Guitars rule this album no doubt. // 10

Lyrics: Ok, I'm not much for lyrics/vocals when it comes to death metal in general, I'd rather pay attention to the instruments. However, the vocalist does a good job at the deep gutturals. The lyrics themselves are actually a bit intelligent straying away from the typical gore, rape, murder, etc. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is in a league of it's own and way ahead of it's time. I doubt we'll see another album like this anytime soon to be honest. I recommend this album to any fan of metal. It's pretty much one of those CDs that really say you know your good death metal. If you are a fan of Necrophagist, Visceral Bleeding, Cannibal Corpse, Psycroptic, Defeated Sanity etc. you really need to check this out if you haven't already. There really isn't anything bad about this album. Every song delivers in it's own right and keeps grabs your attention for the full 41 minutes. Pretty much every track is a favorite for me, so you really can't go wrong if you want to only check out one song first. The song Sour Flow is probably the best/most thought out slower death metal song in history, no joke. Once again, this album owns nothing comes close at all. // 10

Comments