Earth Blues review by Spiritual Beggars

• Released: Apr 14, 2013
Spiritual Beggars: Earth Blues

Because I don't find anything about this great group, I've decide to write a review of their last album: "Earth Blues." It's so strange for me to see that a group formed by so famous musicians such as Micheal Amott (Carcass/Arch Enemy), Per Wilberg (Opeth), Sharlee D'Angelo (Arch Enemy), Ludwig Witt and the fantastically named Apollo Papathanasio (vocals, members of Greek metal band Firewind), can remain a cult entity for 20 years. This is their eighth work, and it is a time travel into '70s, where bands as Deep Purple, Uriah Heep and Blue Oyster Cult dominated the musical scene. But, don't think immediately that "Earth Blues" is a boring album: all songs are absolutely amazing. The album opener "Wise as a Serpent" is short (just 2 minutes and half) but immediately the listener knows that the album will be a masterpiece. "Turn The Tide" and "Hello Sorrow" delivers some great riffs and "One Man's Curse" is a funkier song that reminds me Snafu and Hanson. "Dreamer" is a slow tempo where the singer reminds me the best Coverdale, and after songs like "Kingmaker" and "Freedom Song" we arrive at the last song, "Legends Collapse," with solemn riffs that reminds me the first Sabbath works.

Apollo could have a fun name but, he is an amazing singer. His young-Coverdale timbre is awesome, and he gives his best in "Too Old to Die Young," and in the best song of the album "Dead End Town," with his catchy-as-hell chorus. I never listened Hawkwind cause I don't like power metal but, after listen "Earth Blues" I think to listen, at least, their last album "Few Against Many." He is surely one of the best modern hard rock singers around, and if you like the first Coverdale you should give it a listen.

In conclusion, this is a wonderful album, with no fillers (and trust me, with 12 songs is hard) and is the best work of a band that deserves to fill stadiums. If you love the '70s hard rock, you MUST buy this album.

YouTube preview picture